Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Raw Water Intake Design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohiowater

Civil/Environmental
Jan 2, 2003
US
I am attempting to find a good reference source for Raw Water Intake Structure design (rivers, lakes or reservoirs). My inital attempts at the AWWA Bookstore and general internet serach really did not yield much if anything.

Any suggestions on where to find design guidleines and graphic examples of Raw Water Intake Structures/Systems?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Newer EE handbooks are all cluttered up with junk fads like computers, transistors, and vacuum tubes...

My ~1908 edition of somebody's Electrical Engineers Handbook was pretty well trashed by a hurricane and a dog, but I swear it used to have a section about designing a hydroelectric dam, including the water intake details.

My point is, you may want to look at books from other specialties, and maybe older books too.

I.e., you might have to give up and visit an actual library.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I think I have attended a few presentations over the years (case studies etc.) with various degrees of information having to do with water intake designs/constructions at ASCE Pipeline Division specialty conferences, so ASCE Publications might be one resource. Another resource might be information and/or contacts developed from sites of Consulting Engineers, or pipe or other equipment vendors (an example of such available information is e.g. at

I should have mentioned as well there is at least a small section/check list of criteria on "Design of intake structures" in the "Recommended Standards for Water Works" (Ten States Standards) that are available and help with numerous issues, I think at reasonable cost.

I would recommend you visit several plants that have surface water intakes and get input from operators before starting your design. You may find that they had to modify what someone found in a book!

If you are looking at conventional intake, the Hydraulic Institue has some guidance. If you are looking at a collector well design you are better off talking to Layne or some of their spin-off companys.

Conventional intakes are receiving more notice from the environmental types due to fish entrainment and entrapment on the screens which will impact information shown in older documents.

What I remember from my old book:

Hydro dams have trash racks, not fish racks, because fish are extraordinarily sensitive to lateral pressure. That's why schools turn in unison. So drawing water horizontally at a velocity that's not too high for the fish to swim against will cause the fish to swim away from the inlet. Drawing water down will catch a lot of fish.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back