RBI % reduction in man-hours 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjpetrag

Mechanical
Oct 16, 2007
US
All,

Our plant (petrochemical processing) is going to begin adopting API 580 for Risk-Based inspections. Currently our program is time-based inspection intervals. Was looking for some industry guidance on % reduction for inspection costs by adopting RBI instead of time-based inspections, but the estimates I am finding online are all over the place. Any solid references would be appreciated, although I understand it can widely vary site to site. Thanks!

-Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

mjp,

This is because the inspection frequency is set by the risk and the past history. So in some cases this will say the risk is low and past history provides the justification for an increased time duration between inspections.

On the other hand it could show that in fact the risk is high and past inspections have shown that the previous time interval between inspections was too low.

And some will be just right / the same as before.

So please don't go into this exercise on the basis that the RBI MUST end up with a longer time frame between inspections.

Hence why there is no common % as you have answered your own question.... "although I understand it can widely vary site to site=" and industry to industry

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Note that degree of risk itself amongst chemical plants varies by what process is being used to make their particular products at a particular location. All factors aggregate to determine acceptable risk levels. Some have light risk, while others are heavy. There is no reason to believe they have any uniformity.

Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

RBI possibly has been started by M/s Shell and many companies have come up in the last few years.
My experience with RBI says it is a software that ensures you do not forget or miss an inspection.
However, its success lies in the fact how well you fed the initial data in the software, it simply replaces the data and history cards of the equipment.
I do not vote for RBI though, well maintained physical documents still find my favour.

DHURJATI SEN
Kolkata, India

RBI is about dong the inspections that you should, and not doing the inspections that you don't have to, based on risk factors and equipment history. Approaching it from the how many man hours or cost savings approach isn't the best approach, and you probably won't get the answer you are looking for. I would frame it as reducing risk by completing necessary inspections in time, and not wasting resources on equipment you don't need to get to. Unless your inspection requirements are very stringent for all equipment you may not be saving anything.

Luckily I was able to sell the project on risk reduction and decreased LOPC events which we had correlated to a production loss impact. It was also in support of our company goals for elimination of preventable leaks. Very difficult to relay this to the IT folks who control the budget for the RBI software, but with your help above, it was approved. Thank you very much!!

-Mike

Steve,

We are using GE APM/Meridium. We already have integrated the thickness monitoring modules in APM for our 510/570/653 inspections across the entire company, and needed funding to turn on the RBI module in APM.

-Mike

Risk assessment, risk-based inspection, probability of failure, consequence of failure, inspection planning.

A good software for RBI in petroleum industry, shall follow API RP 581, this is a well-established methodology for conducting RBI in the downstream industry .

luis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back