Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Re-formatted HDD, now can no longer install office 97..

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidMiller

Automotive
Dec 6, 2000
GB
I have recently formatted my hard disk to start a fresh. I then went to re-install office 97. The setup ran ok, but nearing completion i recived this error msg: "unable to load ole32.dll, vbajet32.dll, or oleaut32.dll"

I pressed ok and the msg was repeated.

A final msg apeared after this, it was titled "Error while configuring ODBC Drivers!" it read:

"The configuration of the ODBC Microsoft access driver (*mdb) driver failed"

I dont know what to do, and have reinstalled windows to rectify, this didnt solve the problem, please help me.

Could it be to do with me formatting using "format c:" instead of "format c:\s" Windows seems to have loaded fine and all drivers are installed.

Thanks alot,

Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi David,
may be your Office disk has been damaged. Sometimes it happens! Normallly I check this possibility when I face the same problem.

U.Fassio Mech. Eng.

hi Dave,
It is very simple, when you install Ms Office, select custom installation. Where remove the check bok "Database connectivity" or "ODBC connectivity". It seems the problem is with your Ms Office setup disk or CDROM not with the harddisk.
If you need the ODBC connectivity, it can be installed separete. Which is available on net and given as freeware with CDs comes with magazines.

If you need further information please feel free to mail me at simp_raman@rediffmail.com

Thanks guys, i have sorted it now. I installed office without the access database instalation. Thanks anyway.

David Miller

I came across the discussion when trying to resolve this problem myself. I think I have discovered the reason - and found the solution.

The problem is not to do with the integrity of the Office 97 installation disk. I had the error message appear on one computer whilst Office would load sucesfully on another using the same disk. So what is the reason?

Later versions of Windows 95 and Windows 98 first edition use Internet Explorer 4, which use earlier oem32 dlls. It would appear that Office will not install sucesfully on these earlier versions.

For 95, the Office 97 disk contains the 'dcom95' patch which would appear to rectify this problem and lead to a trouble free installation. However, this will not work on earlier versions of 98.

The problem appears to be solved by installing later versions of Internet Explorer - 5 or 5.5 - as these contain the Service Pack 2 update therefore updating the ole32 files. Please note that Internet Explorer 6 will not rectify the problem on earlier versions of 98 as it does not contain the necessary Service Pack Update.

Having received the same messages as David Miller, I finally solved the problem by installing these later verions of Internet Explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back