Re-Hydrostatic Test on Routine Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

myck

Mechanical
Nov 26, 2013
PH
Dear Expert,

I would like to seek your advise regarding requirement of hydrostatic test for routine repair. Routine repair meaning is attaching non-load carrying clip onto pressure part not subject for PWHT. I have found a forum here that NO Hydrostatic is required. But according to interpretation provide by NBIC per RC2050, Pressure test is required. My question is...

1. If NO Pressure Test is required, where in NBIC State this?
2. Where in NBIC State that NDE can be done in lieu of Pressure Test?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Routine Repair rules affect the involvement of the Inspector, and the requirement to attach a repair nameplate. The pressure test requirements are the same for all repairs, routine or non routine.

PVinspector

In the hundreds of NBIC routine repairs that I was involved, volumetric inspection techniques were nearly always approved by the Inspector. In only a few cases, the Owner decided to hydrotest the repair.

NBIC Part 3, 3.2.3
Routine repairs are repairs for which the requirements for in-process involvement by the Inspector and
stamping by the “R” Certificate Holder may be waived as determined appropriate by the Jurisdiction and
the Inspector. All other applicable requirements of this code shall be met. Prior to performing routine
repairs, the “R” Certificate Holder should determine that routine repairs are acceptable to the Jurisdiction
where the pressure-retaining item is installed;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back