Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Re: Repair Works to Cracked Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

ooox

Structural
Jun 22, 2009
US
I'm looking at a cracked wall that has experienced some differential lateral movement. I'm pretty sure that the crack is due to the wall performing a small retaining role (about 300mm a single skin) which has been exasperated by car being parked nearby.(The possibility that someone has crashed into it would also be plausible)

My initial thoughts are to remove 2 blockwork units either side of the crack and course in an engaged pier but haven't a great deal is experience in this sort of stuff so was wanting to sound out some other options.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The crack appears to be wider at the top than the bottom and the wall does not appear to be moving laterally. If this is the case, the crack has resulted from differential settlement or heaving and a pier will not be the answer.

BA

How high is that wall? Looks like it is broken at the bottom. Better to take it down and build it properly, with an adequate footing and reinforcing, than to have it fall on someone.

I would look for some expansion provisions on the existing wall. From the picture that crack looks nearly vertical. It could be possible that it cracked, then tilted. Pay close attention to the footing and the connection to the footing as well. Good luck!
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back