Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Re-Rubber lining AWWA C504 butterfly valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabislavick

Mechanical
Jan 7, 2010
US
This is the first time I'm posting here.

We are contemplating re-rubber lining a number of old (1960s) AWWA C-504 butterfly valves manufactured by the now defunct BIF Co. (New York Air brake). The valves range from 24” – 48” (75 lb class) for use in treated drinking water service.

Rubber lining of the body doesn't seem to be too difficult but I was trying to find a vendor to do the seat fabrication and oversee the rubber installation. It’s kind of a tricky job because there are both hub and disc seats that have to be separately molded and installed in a dovetail gland and then glued. The original design calls for a filler material to take up the extra space in the gland. After the seat installation the body is lined and the whole thing is vulcanized. We will be doing a leakage test to check how the disc seals.

Does anyone have suggestions about where to find a suitable vendor/ fabricator? I looked on line but that’s always a crap-shoot.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you may be cheaper to replace the valves rather than having bespoke linings manufactered

try ksb for this, they are generally good and will drill AWWA flanges

Look in your local area for rubber shops that do custom work. A lot will depend on where you are located. Most mining companies deal with good rubber shops, so that might be a place to start.

You may find that it's simpler and just as cost-effective to replace the whole valve.

thanks. I'm in So. Cal.

We are also considering buying new valves but when you're talking about such a large number of them (>50), you need to consider all possible angles. Input from a qualified shop would be helpful to put a dollar value on the refurbishment cost to compare with new.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back