Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RE: TWO STORIES BUILDING 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

mronlinetutor

Structural
Aug 19, 2016
CA
I am trying out Skyciv.com. It is a student version. The building should be a simple two stories 2X6 roof 16" o.c., 2X6 16" o.c. 2nd floor and 2X8 16" o.c. main floor made of wood. But Skyciv.com can only do metal buildings for optimal design. So I let the program choose the best HS section for the job. Tell me if the building is safe.

disclaimer: all calculations and comments must be checked by senior engineers before they are taken to be acceptable.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=5eb88dec-4713-4a75-a792-be0218e0585b&file=Practice_House_2_3_2023_SkyCiv_Report.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

mronlinetutor said:
disclaimer: all calculations and comments must be checked by senior engineers before they are taken to be acceptable.

Take the Skyciv report that you linked in the OP to your senior engineers right now, describe the project as you did in the OP, and ask his/her opinion of the stability and safety of your 'house'. I can't wait to hear the reaction.

The downside to deleting threads is that nobody can go back and see done if the whoppers this guy has posted. Anyone remember the 'I want to use AI to design a building' thread or the old "I'm organizing investors for a 7 story building and I'm working with Midas tech support so their software will design it for me"?

Yeah. This guy doesn't have a senior engineer. It's just him doing terrifying and irresponsible things.

good ol Stanley back at it with the nonsense

I do not know why you structural engineers are against me. I have been around for forty years. When I was in sophomore, many of the structural engineers were still in high school. Although I might lack experience as a structural engineer, I never the less am a civil engineer which entitles me to design any building less than ten stories high. I made mistakes. Fine. I admit my mistakes and I will correct and improve on my mistakes. Every graduated engineer is required to take a course in "Laws for professional engineers." I have taken a course in Law for professional engineers and I am totally aware of our labilities in engineering. I did not know that I was trolling. I was born as an immigrant. Furthermore, Einstein failed elementary school, never the less he was a civil engineer. I am discussing the way you bumped me out of the chat room, but somehow, I am God, leading North America from the 20th century to the 21st century. If I was not God, I would at least be a Chinese Commander. Any college graduate from a Canadian-accredited university will automatically become an officer when he joins the Canadian or American army. I still vividly remember the time the CIA recruited on our job board at our university during my final years at UBC. UBC civil engineering currently ranks number one in Canada.

mronlinetutor said:
Although I might lack experience as a structural engineer, I never the less am a civil engineer which entitles me to design any building less than ten stories high.

This attitude entitles you to a nice long visit to your nearest prison.

I didn't say design built. I say design in the context of conceptual design. You must think that all North American accredited universities are craps under British rule! May I say all the North American university professors will rise against you.

mronlinetutor said:

Right....

mronlinetutor said:
Any college graduate from a Canadian-accredited university will automatically become an officer when he joins the Canadian or American army.

Can't speak to the Canadians, but this is 100% false for the US military (of which I was a member for several years). College degree is required for an unrestricted line commission or many other specialties (doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc.), but it by no means guarantees you a commission.

A degree does not make you an engineer, either. It gives you the basic knowledge set to learn to be an engineer, but engineering is more than just a collection of classes.

If you want to become a structural engineer, go get a job with one and learn from him/her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back