Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reaction Wall for Rock Anchors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cap4000

Civil/Environmental
Sep 21, 2003
US
I have a very fractured shale cliff around 50 foot high. I plan to use cement grouted long rebar tendons and structural netting to stabilize this hazardous cliff. My basic question is what is the best way to assure my compressive force in the anchor head does not fracture the rock face any further. Reinforced shotcrete or large plate washers are possible. Does anyone have any other ideas. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are a number of different answers to this question depending upon the method of installation.

1. If you plan to install the tendons as a fully grouted anchor then the compression at the head of the anchor should be small. There is difference in opinion on the distribution of stress along the anchor but I believe that it is safe to assume that it is small.

2. If the anchor is installed as a tensioned anchor with a bonded section and a free anchor length then the compression in the anchor is simply the lock off pressure.

For soil nailing, method 1 is normally used. For tied back shotcrete and anchor method 2 is normally used.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back