Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reactive power 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mab2008

Electrical
Feb 14, 2008
SA
What is the advantage of reactive power (VAR)? How it is controlled from the power plants? Is it possible to transmit real power (KW) wihtout KVAR?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi folks,

I think all this confusion is because we, as engineers, have the tendency to model everything and, sometimes, forget to come back to the basics.
Also, we always keep trying to visualize mathematical entities as being physical entities.

In reality, there exist the electric and the magnetic filed, which can be associated to voltage (V) and current (A), respectively.

The other electrical engineering "quantities" (S (VA), P (W) and Q (var)) are derived mathematically from these two physical entities (V and A). These "quantities" are defined with base on alternating current (AC) systems with linear components and sinusoidal wave.

The best way to "see" if the vars is leadding or lagging is looking the angle between the voltage and current.

rmw, regarding to synchronous compensator (SC), it can be "visualize" as a voltage source generating a voltage that can be (a) higher, (b) lower or (c) equal to the voltage at the terminal on which it is connected.

In the case (a), the SC (over-excited) will "delivery" current (90 degree leading from the voltage) to the system as current flows from high to low potential (voltage). In this case the SC works as a capacitor.

Conversely, in the case (b), the SC (under-excited) will be "absorbed" the current (90 degree lagging from the voltage), as its voltage is lower than that on the terminal. In this case the SC works as an inductor.

In the case (c), no current will flow. The SC will be is "sleeping".

In all cases, some energy is consumed to supply the losses (friction, heating, etc), as davidbeach rimind us.

This same "picture" can be used for a generator, but in this case there will be a prime mover connected to the generator shaft.

Best regards,

Herivelto Bronzeado

Y'all,
In school way,way back, I got questioned for a correct figure in one of my answers! The professor didn't understand how I got the answer when my formulas are in a mess! We came to an understanding (i.e. me learning) that I got my conventions in reverse!
Having said that, we all can come to an agreement if our conventions in the flow of power, current, etc are the same.
I was taught any quantity entering the system will be considered "positive" and quantities leaving the system as " negative"; outgoing vars-negative, incoming vars-positive, etc.

please explain:
- why increasing voltage from generator when power factor at lagging pf = 0.84, reduces PF to 0.82 and increases MVAR and kV from generator.

1. if the generator is leading which absorbs VAR? what to do to have PF to 1, and vice versa.

2. is this correct? power station charge companies based on their real power, not apparent power (total).
- why users with low PF get penalty? is it because VAR (phantom power) is difficult to quantify?

insinyur02,
PF is the cosine of the angle between the current and the voltage. when you turn the exciter knob to increase the excitation, the angle between the voltage and the supplied current increases. A 0.84 lagging PF means an angle of 32.86 degrees; A 0.82 lagging PF means an angle of 34.91 degrees! See how the angle increases.

On Q 1., All you have to do is increase the exciter voltage until your generator reads 0.9 or 0.85 (depending on the generator temp and what the grid requires you to operate at).

On Q 2., MWHr is energy that power companies charge most users. But users who cannot maintain higher than the specified lowest power factor limit (usually 0.85 lagging) are penalized because the system voltage will go down if loads are too inductive. These MVAr-Hrs (amount of reactive VA times the hours) are sometimes metered on customers known to have PF difficulty and not hard to quantify. Please review your power triangle math.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back