Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

read data from 9 pin RS232 serial port 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgearq

Computer
Jul 12, 2003
PH
I need to read data from the 9 pin RS232 serial port on a gas analyzer into a PC. I dont have any info on the format, speed or protocol of the data.
I have heard about Winwedge but this project is currently in the experimental stages so I dont want to buy commercial software yet.
Is there any trial/ shareware versions of this Winwedge or oher similar Data acquisition software?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In many cases, the serial data is text. If so, you can use your computer's Hyperterminal program to look at any data that might come down the pipe.

Note that most such systems require some sort of initialization command to get stuff going, so you'll need to do some work to get that if needed.

TTFN

If you could state what kind of gas analyzer you want to read, someone may have some experience and be able to help you. As IRSTUFF said, Hyperterminal may work. Years ago I used a program called Telix to read data from an MPSI analyzer. There is probably a way to do it in Visual BASIC. As far as Winwedge goes, I can't help you.

slightly off-topic:
I found Hyperterminal a bit too cumbersome and bloated to use for simple RS232-to-RS232 tasks. It also seemed to be not that reliable.

I use Tera Term as a Windoze replacement for Telix or Telemate

Development seems to have ended at v2.3 (well, it does what it should, so thats ok)

And yes it can certainly be done in VB and even VBA. A co-worker is regularly using VB to implement a RS485 protocol to connect to a TSI flowmeter.

If there is any other program available that can communicate with the gas analyzer, you could use a serial port spy like this one
to figure out the trigger sequences or the protocol. (You'd probably be thrown in jail afterwards because of DMCA violation :)

There is a good program (in DOS) for serial communications. It was written in C and its very easy to personalized, besides it brings a source code and documentation. Send me an e-mail at this address

fjrg76@hotmail.com

and in the subject write: RS-232 program

As soon as I can I will send you the program

I use "Sherlock". Application loads from a floppy.
You need their "box" to interface the date to the "sniffer" PC.
Works great, does just about any RS232 protocol, speed etc.
I think the last box i bought was about $1300.
pfry
Wyoming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back