Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Read only dimensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBasniak

Mechanical
Sep 19, 2001
BR
Hi over there,

Does anyone knows why some of my dimensions are changing do Read Only mode?? Is it realtined with equations???

Thanks,
Rodrigo Basniak

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi from over here,

Are your dimensions changing to read only, or are you creating read only dimensions? (this is not ment to sound so deep man!)

It is possible that equations are effecting some of your dims, but what normally happens is that if you try to change one of those dims, it gives a message along the line of "this dimension is driven by another dim".

More often the message you described is witnessed by new users who attach dimensions to the model rather than dimensions in the sketch. Could this be the case? if so edit the original sketch and put the dimensions in here.

drop another reply if neither of these tips apply.

demojok

Demojock,

My dimension is changing to read only, I'm sure I'm not creating it in this way... I create the dimension and save the drawing. I go to the assembly drawing and put there an equation and it's evalueted corectly, but when the model is rebuilted appears a message to me telling me that the dimension used in this equation is read only... I back to the part and uncheck the read only property but when I back to the assembly and SW try to evaluate the equation again he tell that its read only again :-(
Apparently all thing are working weel, but at every rebuild appears that message... :-(

Rodrigo Basniak

Rodrigo,

I had this problem on my last design. Even I was scratching my head saying "What the?%-(". I soon found that the dimension that was read only was because of the way I wrote my equation. I can't remember what I exactly did, but I do know I changed the equation and that fixed my Read-only dimension....s-).

Here is what is happening
Ex: "D2@Sketch1" = "D1@Sketch1" / 2

D2 would be the read only dimension because it is = to D1/2.

D2 is now controlled and it cannot be changed because D1 controls it's output or value.

1) Make sure it isn't being referenced twice.(I Don't think SW would allow it anyway but just make sure.)
2) Try removing the equation, removing the dimension, and reinsert that dimension and reinsert the equation.

Hope that helps, Scott Baugh, CSWP :)
George Koch Sons,LLC
Evansville, IN 47714
sjb@kochllc.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back