Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Read only everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

TateJ

Mechanical
Mar 15, 2002
US
We now have a CNC guy who occasionally opens parts in SolidWorks... then leaves his desk with the part still open. Then I have to walk down the hall and close his part, so I can get write access. I have him set up to open referenced documents read only... But can I set up his system options to open EVERYTHING read only?

Jack L Tate - Xtreme Tower Products - SolidWorks 2011 - Windows XP Pro - RocketFish Mouse - SpaceNavigator - Slacker Radio - Swingline Stapler - Pop Tarts - [COLOR=red yellow]C[sub]8[/sub]H[sub]10[/sub]N[sub]4[/sub]O[sub]2[/sub][/color] - Rental Bowling Shoes - Titanuim Spork - And that's all I need!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you guys using PDMWorks? If not, you should as it would make things easier for you. Beyond that, you should be able to set the permissions on your server so that he only has read only access to folders that contain your SolidWorks data.

Jeff Mirisola
Director of Engineering
M9 Defense
My Blog

I lean heavily toweard PDM... but I just can't tolerate the learnig curve that we (engineering dept as a whole) would endure right now.

And our data is spread all across the network in many many project folders, so I'm not certain we can manage read-only access that specifically.

But these are good ideas.

Jack L Tate - Xtreme Tower Products - SolidWorks 2011 - Windows XP Pro - RocketFish Mouse - SpaceNavigator - Slacker Radio - Swingline Stapler - Pop Tarts - [COLOR=red yellow]C[sub]8[/sub]H[sub]10[/sub]N[sub]4[/sub]O[sub]2[/sub][/color] - Rental Bowling Shoes - Titanuim Spork - And that's all I need!

Haven't played with specific folder settings for write access... shows promise so far... Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back