Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reading & comparing Input files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABD01

Structural
Dec 28, 2018
MD
Hi
I am calculating the stress intensity factor for cracked models. General procedure for modeling crack using Abaqus example with photo here Link

In My model, The program runs correctly for one case (crack length =x). for other cases when the crack length increased, I got unexpected & inaccurate results: The assigned seam crack did not open through its whole length. Changing the mesh, the part (near crack tip, or near the edge) that open, and the length of the opened seam change. simply the whole seam crack should open. There is no error by Abaqus (should be there is an error for such case). The problem described with a photo in this thread:
Link

I want to see if there is a difference in my of my modeling steps in the successful run model and the failed ones. I guess this can be done by comparing the input file or the data file.

how to compare & find if there is a difference in the main procedure of two models provided that the crack length is different. Simply I want to check the main procedure, the way created Parts, assembled them, merge/cut them.
Even though I pretty sure I adopted the similar procedure in both models, but wanna found the explanation for this problem.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Comparing Abaqus input files is simple. Good editors can do that, also tools like Total Commander or tools that are specific for that task (UltraCompare, e.g.).

Comparing how the model was created in A/CAE is not so easy or even possible in general. You could compare the .jnl files, but I think that is not working for every situation. Even a manual check of the entries in the model tree cannot cover all possibilities.

can't you view model deformed shape ? or stress around the crack ? that'll show that somewhere your crack has been "welded".

comparing f06 files is sooo olde school ... something I might have done (coming from that school) !

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

For comparing two text files, when you want to find and examine lines with differences, I recommend:

Import or copy and paste both files into adjacent columns in a spreadsheet, with settings so that each file goes into one column.
In a third column enter a formula like IF(TRIM(A1)=TRIM(B1),"","********")
Copy down to the bottom.

Any different lines will now be tagged with *******.

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back