Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

reading cell contents

Status
Not open for further replies.

athomas236

Mechanical
Jul 1, 2002
GB
I have an excel file with one worksheet that has 58,000 rows by 170 columns of plant operating data.

What I want to do is examine this data to establish if particular events (such as high steam temperatures) are more likely to occur at particular plant outputs or combinations of auxiliary equipment.

To do this I want to read each row one at a time assigning a variable to each cell in the row which I can then examine. I want to read each row and possibly each cell in the row by loops.

My problem is that I cannot see any easy way to do this. If I want to read the contents of a single cell then I could use X=Range("A1") but with so many cells this seems impractical.

Can anyone help ?

Regards,

athomas236

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try this format:

Cells(1,1).value

This way, it is very easy to replace the R,C reference with a variable.

Evan T. Basalik, MCSD
--------------------------------
It's all about prioritization...

Perhaps you could use the intrinsic function Tools/Data analysis/Correlation that will find you a correlation coefficient for the whole matrix of data provided there are not missing values in some of the cells. If you find a significantly high correlation coefficient then you can examine relations deeper.
Are you aware that some data are not correlated in the same time instant, so that the output to an input in time t may happen with some lag, say in time t+N*delta t, where N is some integer.In such a case you should construct additional data matrix or make a small code in VBa to correlate inputs at time t with outputs at t+lag.
m777182

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back