Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

RealPost for (true) exterior use ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HouseBoy

Structural
Nov 21, 2005
US
Anybody ever hear of (or use) a product called "RealPost" by a company called "Woodtone"?
It's a finger-jointed post made with SPF. The company literature SAYS it's for "Exterior & Decorative Columns & Pillars" use but the CCRR Report says "...where the moisture content in use will be a maximum of 19%...."
Seems like that would preclude use for an outdoor pergola.
Literature shows all "covered porch" type structures. Even that seems a little risky (for the lower portions of the posts).

Any experience and/or thoughts about this product? CCRR Report is attached.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=77a7f370-3b6b-486b-8922-201a0c868177&file=REALWOOD_Post_CCRR-Load-Table-Report.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've never heard of this product; looked at the website and saw the same "advertising claim" you did... but (where it counts) the company's Installation Instructions say:

Real_Post-600_ehbwg5.png

No personal experience with this product.

FWIW the website also has RealCorner and RealTrim which are targeted at exterior applications. The installation instructions of RealTrim do refer to the product as "treated" while the RealCorner installation instructions do not. Rake/frieze boards are listed as an application for the RealTrim, so that rules out depending on a large roof overhang, cant get more exposed than a rake board. May need to call the manufacturer as they do have some nice language for the RealPost that would let them off the hook in a lot of exterior applications.

I've seen finger jointed trim in the past, it mostly comes down to coating maintenance like any other wood trim. It doesn't sit well with me but people use it. I would expect the finger jointed post to exhibit problems faster than a solid post if the coating maintenance is neglected. With all of the paint jobs that I see put off it makes things like Azek and vinyl a no-brainer for a lot of owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back