Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Realview Graphics Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrmartin

Mechanical
Jan 6, 2005
CA
I've created a custom list of materials we typically utilize, with applied materials in the Realview Graphics section and textures when realview is turned off.

After a part is created, I apply the appropriate material. If Realview is turned off at that time, the normal texture for that material is shown. Switching to Realview does nothing graphically, it's as if the Realview data is not being saved.

Now if I create another part, this time with Realview turned on ... everything works as is should. Switching realview on/off produces the two visual effects.

In assemblies of parts with the same material (i.e. parts that should have the same visual properties), switching realview on/off effects only a handful of parts. It appears to be random effecting some parts some of the time.

Anyone experienced this and how to fix ... Is there something I'm doing incorrectly?

SW2006 SP3.1
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3500

TIA
Jeff Martin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You cold try upgrading to SP5.0 first and see if hte issue is still there... if it is then contact your VAR, because that sounds like a possible bug, but with it being random makes it very hard to diagnose... so upgrade and re-test the porcess... if you can repeat it after that make a SW RX and send that to SW... they can test that in SW07 and see if they get the same result.

Also check the driver version for your VC... it has to be the certifed SW driver.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Thanks for response Scott. I updated the VC drivers per SW recommendations ... no change. Unfortunately SW is installed using an image PC and I cannot update the service pack without administrators rights.

Can SWRx replicate this? I thought it was just for crashes. Can you provide some guidance?

Jeff Martin

Try changing the video card settings to run with SolidWorks. I don't remember the exact steps, but select the icon bottom-right of monitor and look through the setup.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 10-27-06)

Right click on your desktop and select 'Properties'. Click on the 'Settings' tab, then on the 'Advanced' button. This should bring up another window. Choose the Quadro tab. You should have a fly-0ut tool bar. Chose 'Performance & Quality Settings', Active Profile should be SolidWorks.
I hope this helps!

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
CAD Administrator
SW '07 SP1.0, Dell M90, Intel 2 Duo Core, 2MB RAM, nVidia 2500M

Thanks everyone ... appreciate all your assistance.

I was able to set the VC to run with SW. However no change. If I create a part with Realview off, assign a material, and switch Realview on ... nothing graphical occurs. If I then hit the "Edit Material" tab on the material selection, the Realview graphical portion suddenly appears.

Any other suggestions?

Jeff Martin
"Every day is painful ... and the last one kills you"

Hmmmm, very interesting.
I'm going to guess that it's not you, it's SolidWorks. I see that you're on '06 SP3.1; can you update your service pack? No guarantees, it's just a suggestion...

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
CAD Administrator
SW '07 SP1.0, Dell M90, Intel 2 Duo Core, 2MB RAM, nVidia 2500M

Unfortunately SW is installed using an image PC and I cannot update the service pack without administrators rights

That was my initial suggestion and is still my suggestion, because realview works fine for me in SP5.0.

Go get admin rights and test it if that doens't fix it, then upgrade to SP5.0. Rights are needed for lots of things inside SW... power users can usually get by, but users with no rights cannot.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Check to see if any colors have been applied to the part. Right-click the part in the tree and go to appearance/color. If there is a top-level color then click remove all colors. I had this problem with some of my imported parts, and removing the colors fixed the RealView problems. If that doesn't help on the top level make sure that the individual features don't have color attributes. And if that doesn't work this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Hope that helps.

Dan

I have done some testing with 2006 sp4.0 and 2007 sp1.0 and can constantly reproduce this issue.

I am using the standard material that comes with SolidWorks.

If you have realview off when you apply the material then realview has no effect on the part. However if you turn on realview and reaply the material then it works as expected.
This happens in all cases that I hae tried this with.

I have not noteced this before becouse I don't turn off realview.

I would say if you are going to use realview then make sure you have it turned on when you apply the materials.

I have a certified graphics card with the certified drivers installed.

FYI, the Realview issue occurs with and without Photoworks runing.

I read the thread that JMirisola has indicated, I cannot find the flag "Display PhotoWorks materials in SolidWorks" that it talks about. Perhaps because I'm using SW2006, or its the CK interface.

In regards to previous posts regarding the service pack, I cannot modify because SP3.1 is our company standard.

Jeff Martin

FYI

I've contacted my VAR and they were able to reproduce the error on 2007 SP1.? . They did not have a solution, so they reported the problem with Solidworks. I'll respond back if I get a solution.

Cheers
Jeff Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back