Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RealView problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadmaniac

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2001
US
I just recently added a Quadro4 900xgl to my system, running SW 2004, but RealView is still not available (shaded out). I know this card is supported. Any Ideas?

Anyone can be Captain in a calm sea.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you installed the correct driver? If you are running XP or 2K the driver should be 6.14.01.43.51

Have you enabled the custom setting? The following is pulled from the nvidia driver site:-

After installing driver, you may enable the custom setting from Start menu -> settings -> control panel -> display properties > select tab with NVIDIA product name -> additional properties -> Custom OpenGL application settings -> select SolidWorks from the pull down list.

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[lol] If everything is going well, you have obviously overlooked something [lol]

I am using the 5303 driver which is also supported. I have also tried the 4351 driver. I even reinstalled SW after the driver switch as suggested by SW support. I am running Win XP. I have the shaders and shaders_soft folders in the root. I did run a search on this board and have tried their suggestions. I was hoping a proven solution had surfaced in the past few months. I have all my program files installed on a different RAID 0 partition than the operating system. I doubt that would matter. I have card application set to solidworks. Someone suggested to "RMB the material..." I am afraid I don't know what RMB is short for.

try unchecking use software openGL in the options, performace menu. I'm using a 700xgl, and i had to do that to get realview to work.

That is unchecked on my menu. I have also noticed that on my materials editor the realview option is grayed out. I have tried everything posted here on this subject. I am probably wasting too much brain time on this, but it just annoys me.

cadmaniac
I would go back to the 4351 driver. I agree the 5303 is listed as approved for Real View, but it is in the dual monitors group. A possible "complication" you do not need if only using one monitor.

Have you tried the 4351 with the nVidia SW setting & Software OpenGL switch unchecked?

Are you able to try a different approved card?

Is your RAID array SCSI or ATA? I believe I remember reading somewhere(?) that SCSI can cause conflicts with SW, but may well be wrong, so don't quote me on that.

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[lol] If everything is going well, you have obviously overlooked something [lol]

I have already tried the 4351 drivers. I have a 40 gig partition striped across two ATA100 drives in a software RAID 0 configuration for my program files. I have another one where I read/write my project files to. Thinking this may be the problem, I uninstalled SW thoroughly using a registry search and reinstalled on my Win XP partition. (single disk, no RAID)It made no difference. I truly appreciate the help, but I am ready to accept that, for whatever reason, SW does not recognize my Q900XGL hardware completely. Does anyone know of test/benchmarks I can run to determine the NV25 chip's native Cg support? (I understand Realview runs in Cg) Everything else seems to be fine. I can manupulate huge wireframe models at high quality settings, and large shaded models pan and rotate nicely. Anyway, back to work. Thx

Have you tried creating a new part and assigning it a material like the shiny chrome stainless steel? I had problems with old parts not showing the realview graphics because they were created in SW2003. I had to remove or edit the material for the graphics to show...

Also if the part is already assigned a color, thats what you see...

I have tried brand new parts. I draw a simple circle, extrude it, and assign a material to it. Nothing. The realview option in the material editor is also grayed out.

Try this thread - thread559-77710

Since nothing else is working for you (depending if you have tried everything in this thread and others) try a new profile and if you don't have admin privileges, get one that does.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

I just created a new admin account. That did not do it. Perhaps it is something in the materials editor. I am using the standard solidworks material editor with the standard materials. Although "advanced" box is checked, the realview selection is grayed out.

It can't be the materials-editor, even if you dont assign a material you must be able to turn the realview option on the toolbar On and Off, not that it will change anything but If solidworks detects your card it would be grayed out, I think it is a driver problem but don't ask me anything on that subject.

Look at your open GL setting again. I was having the same kind of problem with 700 XGL card and lost the Realview mode when doing a SP. Didn't look for why until recently and came across this thread. You must change the setting with no files open, just SW running then look at the open GL setting. Not sure how or why the service pack would change the setting but I am pretty sure that I did not switch it to software GL. Unchecked it and got Realview mode back. I am using the latest 5303 driver, works fine with Realview. Also nvidia recommended uninstalling any previous driver before installing a new one, make sure that AV is disabled when installing.

One thing I did notice is that in large assembly mode the realview display toolbar icon is grayed out. The check box under the large assembly mode settings seems to control large assembly mode display. The parts that have a realview material applied do display correctly even though the realview icon is grayed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back