Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reapplying to a company that previously turned you down 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

spongebob007

Military
Sep 14, 2007
US
About a year ago a head hunter called me about a job that I was really excited about, except for one thing. They were looking for an ME with a very strong EE background. I knew going into it that I had some practical EE background beyond the 2 EE courses I was required to take in school, but I susupected that I didn't have quite what they were looking for. I went ahead and had the recruiter submit my resume anyway. I figured I could stress what I was skilled at and demonstrate my intellegence and eagerness to learn whatever it took to fill in the gaps. I got and passed the phone interview and was invited to come in for what was the longest job interview of my life-I was at the company for 8 hours! In the end they passed on me because I didn't have the EE background they were looking for, and despite my eagerness to get the knowledge, they felt they needed somebody who could hit the ground running. I was told that if an ME position came along in the future that was more matched to my skill set they would give me a call. The phone never rang.

Fast forward to last week. I noticed on one of the big job websites that this company is looking for a structural analyst. This is right up my alley. I really wanted to work for this company and I would be a perfect fit for this job. What do I do?

A) Don't bother, if they really meant what they said about keeping me in mind for future openings I would have heard from them by now.

B) Get on the phone to the HR lady and tell her this is spongebob007 and I interviewed for the XXX position last year and I noticed there was a new opportunity and I would be very interested in discussing it with you.

C)Do the same as B above except write it in my cover letter rather than making personal contact.

D)Write a cover letter and send a resume, making no mention of my previous interview with the company.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One thing to bear in mind about HR departments is that even in big companies they are quite small, when I worked for General Dynamics in San Diego with 11,500 employees localy, they only had 14 people in the office. If you stick out you will be remembered.
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

Maybe, however at the same time there can be turnover - our HR dept had complete change of staff twice in my first couple of years here.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back