Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rear axle location--WOBLINK design

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamuwere

Automotive
Oct 20, 2003
US
I am considering implementing a woblink to replace the panhard rod on my SCCA F500 car. Yes, those cars that really don't have much in the way of a real suspension, but I do get close to three inches of travel at all corners. It really works well, despite the lack of real springs or shocks.

The problem:
Susp3D calculations put my front roll center at close to 5 inches below ground. The rear with a panhard rod is at about five-six inches above ground, depending on wheel, tire, and ride height changes. That is a big roll inclination.

I think a Woblink would work to better balance the car with a lower rear roll center. I would like to try to run some tests with a Woblink, but I cannot find construction info on one. The only online diagram I have found seems to be incorret, as the formula provided does not match the design in the picture.

Anyone with construction advice?
jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

the upper diagrams show lengths that are really not proportional as the formula would show. I wanted to be sure that there is not some other bits that they were not including.

jim

Incidentally why not use a Mumford linkage instead? It would be much easier to package I think. It is more complex, but there is a great deal to be said for symmetry in suspension designs.

Cheers

Greg Locock

not enough room for a mumford link. I will barely have room for a woblink. The panhard rod barely fits as it is. I do agree that it is a superior design.

jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back