Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rear Wishbone Mounting - why do vertical bushes get used when it seems "wrong"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overlap77

Automotive
Dec 16, 2016
GB
Can anyone tell me why a vertical mounting is used on front wishbone rear bush?
It seems "wrong". The only benefit I can see is deflection in the event of kerbing preventing damage.

e.g Golf Mk6 - nice design - horizontal bush allowed easy movement
D505E3F3EC5D296C95B6225C08642885.jpg

Golf Mk7 - vertical plane mounted bush seems to restrict and interfere with free movement of the arm and cause geometry change
URL]

thanks for any input available

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So I'm an idiot. The control arm in my car (fiat 500) is mounted the same orientation as the VW control arm, with the ride bushing towards the rear. That's what I get for looking at it while lying on my back on a creeper underneath the car and thus getting my orientation messed up, and then going by (wrong) memory when replying earlier. :)

Like adjusting valves that you can only reach from the crankcase side and clockwise is counterclockwise on both the adjusters and the nuts.

Brian said:
A lot of aftermarket urethane bushings do require the bushing to move - with the result that they have to be frequently lubricated, and they squeak, and they wear out. Been there ...

This ↑↑↑ - but you don't have to just "live with" those and other downsides of such bushings.

If OE suppliers can do voided bushings to soften some force and moment stiffnesses relative to others, there isn't much reason an individual couldn't do 'voided poly' and related modifications for the same purposes - as well as to reduce/eliminate the squeaking/clunking and perhaps extend the lubrication intervals. I figure any polyurethane bushing and possibly its inner sleeve (ferrule?) are wear items whether the poly is modified or not, but even when substantially modified they seem to hold up pretty well for driving up to and including autocross and road course lapping (can't speak for drag racing as that's outside my experience).

Norm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back