Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rebar question for my Canadian colleagues

Status
Not open for further replies.

structuresguy

Structural
Apr 10, 2003
US
I know the standard Canadian rebar designations (M10, M15, etc) but I am wondering about what is typically available for use in Canada. Do you strictly use rebar with these designations, or do you also use soft metric equivalent of US bar sizes? For instance, a #6 US bar is 19mm and a #5 US bar is 16mm. Do you get these bar sizes in Canada too? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We use M10, M15, etc. in Alberta. I have never seen the soft metric equivalent, although it could happen if someone ordered bars from a US supplier.

The nice thing about the metric sizes is that they are not exactly the diameter indicated, but the area is a convenient number in mm^2. The Canadian sizes in the following link are standard.

BA

In ten years of working on Canadian projects (mostly in Ontario, but also all over the country), I've not heard of a site wanting to use the US sizes instead of the Canadian ones. The Canadian metric sizes are generally readily available, up to 35M. (You should check availability of 45M and 55M; at different times I've heard they're available and not.) We always use the regular 400MPa grade; I'm not sure how available the 500MPa grade is.

As BA says, the nominal bar diameter is not the actual diameter - it's typically off by about 1mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back