Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rebar Seat on Insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skazak

Structural
Jun 25, 2007
US
I am designing an industrial 8" concrete slab with radiant heat. The slab is poured directly on top of 2" rigin insulation.

My concern is that if standard rebar seats are used for the reinforcement, will these puncture the insulation whenever the rebar is stepped on?

This would leave my rebar near the bottom of the slab and also possibly damage my pex tubing for the radiant heat.

Does anyone know a good solution for this problem?

As a designer is it even my place to be concerned with this issue?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How about using chairs with sand plates or concrete dobies to spread the load out?

What Taro states is what is used a lot in refrigeration warehouses where insulation is used beneath the slab.

Review construction practices with contractor prior to beginning the concrete pour.
Review with them what you expect in the way of a finished product.
(Do not tell them how to do the work)
Discuss with them how they intend to construct the slab.
(I would expect discussion of the use of power screed, curing procedure, finishing procedure, etc.)
Do all you can to insure that you get the finished product that you want.
(space rebar out as much as possible, locate joints reasonably, etc.)

If the rebar weight is too great, then you can use masonite or OSB over the insulation. Often used in these environs over void form...

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back