Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rebar Size "8c" on Mexican Bridge Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoman77

Geotechnical
Feb 11, 2011
US
Looking at some plans for a bridge in Mexico and the longitudinal bars for for the columns are designated as diameter "8c". If they are standard US #8 bars, the reinforcement ratio for the column would be about 1%, which seems reasonable, but curious to see if anybody can verify how their system works. Everything else on the plans is in metric. Anybody know if Mexican rebar generally comes in US or Metric sizes?

Thanks,
Ben

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A little follow up-- I believe the "c" stands for "corrugado" (corrugated) to indicate deformed bars. Some other small diameter bars are designated with the letter "l" which probably stands for "liso" (smooth). Any Spanish speakers out there than can verify this? Still wondering about the sizes as well.

I don't know the answer to this one, but I would be nervous that the bars are 8 mm diameter and not #8 bars. That's something like a 10x difference in cross sectional area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back