Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rebar Welding Code Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

braceh

Structural
Jul 21, 2009
US
I am a AWS CWI and I often have to debate code issues on job sites. This one seems like a pretty straight foreward issue to me but I was surprised by the amount of opposition, even when I called the project engineer. Here it goes. There is ASTM A706 rebar that is called out to be welded to some A572 plates to keep the reinforcement continuous on some grade beams. The contractor was shocked when I asked if they had any welding procedures and welder certifications for this application seeing as how I was requesting certs and procedures specifically for AWS D1.4 and not AWS D1.1. Their response was that anytime rebar is welded to structural steel it is a D1.1 issue and only when rebar is welded to rebar is it a D1.4 issue. My defense was the following: 1) Nowhere in the D1.1 does it recognize A706 as a base metal, only in the D1.4 does it do so. 2) In the 1st paragraph of the AWS D1.4 it states that this code is applicable "to the welding of reinforcing steel to carbon or low-alloy STRUCTURAL steel." And my final stand was the simplest of all, if they feel that D1.1 covers it show me a WPS written which is prequalified under Section 3 of the D1.1 that details out a connection with rebar.
This is my opinion and I would greatly appreciate the response of any structural engineers on this topic, that way if it were to come down to getting the EOR involved in this situtation again in the future I would already know what the response will be when the question comes up again.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are not alone regarding such experiences.

Unfortunately the qualification provisions in both D1.3 and D1.4 for WPS and Welding personnel are not well understood. Main reason---a lot of the players who should be familiar with these provisions have not read them. Most folks are familiar with D1.1 and when you have either rebar or sheet steel welded to base metal conforming to D1.1, they think qualification criteria has to be based on D1.1.

So how can the message be spread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back