Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Received a larger job offer, now what? 39

Status
Not open for further replies.

CivilTom

Civil/Environmental
Oct 13, 2012
US
I have been working at job 1 for a month now however I interviewed at a lot of places before starting job 1, and so I just received a call from a different firm. Job 2 is offering a 16% greater salary. My plan is the following: approach current employer and say " hey boss I recently received a large offer from a company I interviewed with a month ago before starting here, although I'm not greedy i could really use the extra money company 2 is offering, would you be able to match their offer?" Is this a good or bad idea? Do you recommend Another route?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The converse, of course, is that there are potential jobs that you love, where putting 80 hrs a week still has you wanting to do more, and where 20% below median is OK, because the job is just so rewarding. I've done the "taking a 20% cut" job, to avoid uprooting my family, and haven't regretted the decision one whit.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

I took a 10% cut for a job, uprooted my family, and the new job sucks big time, so I'm on the hunt-I'll be in the new job 6 months in December, and am hoping something else shakes out soon or I'll go crazy. But, if this is a first job out of college for the OP-might be trouble.

CivilTom -

I have really enjoyed reading this post. Best I can tell, you are somewhere between being the scum of the earth and you will never ever work in this town again to a normal guy that wants to get paid what you are worth.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Best of luck.

There has got to be a consequence on the employers who take their sweet time to hire. One of that consequence is that some engineers will get hired by other firms. You have an obligation to this firm for a time longer than it takes to process two paychecks.

I mean where does it stop? What if, after another month, one of the other interviewers offers you a 10% more salary than employer 2? Would you have 3 employers in two months?

IRstuff said:
...there are potential jobs that you love, where putting 80 hrs a week still has you wanting to do more

IRstuff, I think that this may be the first time I have ever disagreed with one of your posts. I enjoy the heck out of my work. However, its underlying purpose is to earn some money for the enjoyment of my personal life. Family first is my primary directive, and I hope that does not hurt or offend those who do not have family or are estranged from them.

If I ever catch myself working 80 or even 41 hours and still wanting to do more, I'll be looking for a good psychiatrist, post haste.

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

@spongebob007,

Are you saying that if you interview at a company and reject the offer in favour of staying with your current employer that you'll be black listed by the company that you rejected? That's crazy. If the offer isn't better than your current situation, what do they expect you to do? How would the potential employer even know that you would use the offer as leverage to get a raise?

I turned down an offer a number of years back and the guy (a head hunter and not the actual hiring manager) came right out and asked me if I was using the job offer as leverage with my current employer.

G.D., I was talking about passion, not finance ;-) Clearly, family is important, but slogging at a job that you hate, well, that's a job.

For some of us, we occasionally get a job that we love; I thank my lucky stars for a job where I do what I really enjoy, it's like someone's paying me to pursue my hobby [spin2] It's not wine and roses every day, but that's what pays for the rest of the job fun.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Thanks for the clarification, IRstuff. I feel better now. I also was having a cynical day yesterday. I reminded myself last night at bed time that I work for myself now, so any job stress is my own darned fault. When a client throws an unattainable timeline in my face, I can treat it as if it were a key lime pie. Scrape it off my face and into my mouth (yummy), then wash up and forget about it.

Back on topic: Even though I'm on my own, I remain on the loyalty-begets-loyalty side. Companies will punt you out the door with two weeks' pay at any moment, without warning, to make the profit hit the goal. The decision is made in private, without consulting you or even letting you know that your livelihood is being discussed. If the company is large enough, the people in that meeting don't even know your name.

Look at the employer the same way. You don't owe them anything for hiring you. You work, they pay, all is square. Nobody owes anything. If they hired you at a below-market salary, you have already felt their stinger. Don't hang around for more.

I would expect my company's employees to treat me the same way. As the mafia used to put it in the movies, "Nothing personal, just bizness. (Bang!)"

Nota bene: I did work for one company over the years that was the polar opposite. The owner was a wealthy man, and he let everyone know up front that if sales tanked, zero profit fine with him. Even a pretty good loss would not lead to layoffs. "If the doors are still open and you're doing good work, you have a job." That was the loyalty that begat loyalty from those who worked there. Rest in peace, Bob.

The ones that chap my backside are those who try to budget for a really huge increase in profit for the coming calendar year. We'll call the goal $XXX million more than the prior year.

If the sales projections in January say that the growth will only be $XXX * 0.98, headcounts roll out the door at the year's start to make the budget fit the projections. Keeping that bottom line number the same is the number one goal. Six months into the year, when it starts to appear that the profit will only be $XXX x 0.97, headcounts again parade to HR for their bye-bye paperwork and pay. I have heard that some companies are extra nice and give their evictees roller skates so they can get around when their cars get repossessed.

I'll stop now. I better not read this thread again, it's bad for my blood pressure.

Best to you,

Goober Dave

A fellow accepted an offer as an engineering manager at a utlity and on the first day of work showed up and told the new employer he was going back to his former employer because they offered him a director position. He left after one hour on the job.
The senior management at the utility was not disappointed, offended, embarrassed etc in the least.
They admired the fellow for telling them to their face!

Go figure?

I forgot to add to my last rant:

My opinions are formed from MY experience. Yours may be different. I very much respect the opinions of all eng-tippers, and I'm glad you feel good posting them frankly and honestly.

Now I'm really gone from this thread. It's disturbing my karma. I'll have to counter that with some new feng shui in my office, and I hate to move furniture.

Pax vobiscum.

Best to you,

Goober Dave

UPDATE

I took the new job. Here is why:
-I plan to start my masters in the spring, the new company offers tuition reimbursment.
-The field of work the new company does is geared more toward engineering, therefore I feel I am more of an engineer.
-The new job is downtown. I would like the change of scenery.
-The benefits look much better, including a annual 5% raise + incentives.
-The salary came out to be 26% greater.

I failed to mention one thing and this may actaully change many minds. When I started at company A I only needed about 1 days worth of training. The work was simple for me and therefore I was able to complete tasks without asking any questions. Not much time was invested in me. I beleive I made the company double my pay so far. No benefits have taken into effect yet and I didnt take any pto.

After making a pro and con list and considering the adivce here. I think I made the right choice.

Excellent! It seemed like a no-brainer to me from the beginning. Hopefully in 30 years you will see it as a good decision. Let us know how it's going in a few months before they lock this post.

Good luck,
Latexman

I'm glad to see that you put the better salary as the fifth reason why you choose that job opportunity.

How did your current employer react when you told him?

Patrick

Sorry for the late response, the new job is great. It's a laid back work environment, and the days go by quickly. I work with a young group of engineers and a great manager/mentor. I'm very happy with the decision I made.

CivilTom said:
I took the new job. Here is why:
-I plan to start my masters in the spring, the new company offers tuition reimbursment.
-The field of work the new company does is geared more toward engineering, therefore I feel I am more of an engineer.
-The new job is downtown. I would like the change of scenery.
-The benefits look much better, including a annual 5% raise + incentives.
-The salary came out to be 26% greater.
Those are all excellent reasons for changing positions... I wish you well, and it sounds like you made the right decision.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back