Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Recent EM Eng. Tech. graduate trying to start career in late 30's

Status
Not open for further replies.

TemetumExMachina

Electrical
Feb 21, 2010
US
Hello, everyone. New to the forums, and new to the engineering/technology field. I just graduated in August with a B.S. in Electromechanical Engineering Technology at an ABET accredited state university.

I have been working for the last five months at a job that does not require a college degree, pays about $23,000/yr plus some pretty decent benefits. I grew up in a lower middle class family, and can live reasonably comfortably on $20,000 or less, but would like to make more in a job that lets me use the skills that I spent a few years learning.

Also, I'm 37.

My problem is that I have no idea what kinds of jobs I am qualified for. My education is fairly broad, as a result, I am familiar with a wide variety of material, but am expert at precisely nothing.

Job hunting on the employment websites (mostly Careerbuilder and Monster), I find plenty of "Engineering" jobs that all want 5+ years of experience, and occasionally a "Technician" job that I seem somewhat overqualified for, but is probably better than what I have now.

My main motive in choosing the B.S. EMET degree was that I felt that it had the highest potential for self employment. My medium term career goal is to start a company designing and building vending machines that fill niches other than the traditional sodas and candy bars.

I am not one of those people who just LOVES engineering, that is, unless I am working on my own projects. Engineering for someone else is a means to an end, nothing more. Because of this, I am not limiting myself to strictly looking at jobs in the engineering field.

Again, my problem here is that I have no idea what types of positions I am qualified for.

I am limiting myself in that I have no intention of leaving the middle Tennessee area. All of my friends and family live here, and they are far more important to me than money.

My previous work experience has all been in fast food, and factory work as a machine operator. In college, I was co-captain of the Solar Boat Team, and ASME President for one year. That's about it other than being marginally self employed twice in the past (never earning more than $12,000/yr)

Given my geographic limitation, my age, and lack of experience, what career options would you suggest?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do a google search to locate companies that make vending machines. There may be some in your local area, if so contact them about a job. If not, then research the companies that are in your area as far as what they make. If there is something that is of a similar nature, the try them. Your geographic limitation is more of a restriction than your age. As far a lack of experience, the job market is such that there is a surplus of people looking for work, the employer can be more selective. This will change. You don't say what you are working as, but if it is in some way engineering related, I would just keep looking while you have the job. (I would check if there is a position there you can switch to that may be better suited to someone who has a degree.)

Peter Stockhausen
Senior Design Analyst (Checker)
Infotech Aerospace Services

As Pete says, apply directly to the firms in your geographic area. Also, are there any local chapters of Engineering organizations you could join, or similar networking opportunities.

There have been plenty of job finding threads on this forum, especially of late, maybe take a look at some of them.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I would not rule out technician jobs even if you seem overqualified. Some companies like to start their engineers in this sort of position to learn the business from the ground up. I started with my current employer as a maintenance planner. At that time, the planner who had the job before me was a mechanic who came up through the ranks and had no college at all. I might have been tempted to see that job as beneath my qualifications. But, I discussed this with the department head and understood that I would be expecting to be promoted into a higher level engineering job. And, that is what happened. One year later, I moved into a Machinery Reliability Engineer position. Now, I am a senior Machinery Reliability Engineer.

If you want to look at a job as a technician, ask a few questions. Are any of their existing technicians degreed engineers? Have any of their past technicians moved up into engineering roles? What would they expect to be the potential for advancement and promotion? If the job is in the geographic area where you want to be and pays a decent wage, then it might be a good starting point.

Johnny Pellin

Thank you all for your responses. To answer some of your questions, Where I work now, I basically reclaim good parts from damaged cellphones, and use them to build remanufactured phones.

I'm not familiar with any local engineering organizations, but I have found a Society of Professional Engineers about 40 miles from here. I'm not a "Professional Engineer", though. Tennessee won't even let me take the FE exam. This may or may not be an obstacle in joining.

No vending machine manufacturers in Tennessee that I can find, but there is at least one vending company that services their own machines.

The Technician job I am looking at at the moment is a Field Service Technician for Schneider Electric. I'll be sending them a resume soon.

It's kind of unfortunate they put "technology" at the end of the degree name. I automatically assume it's an associate's degree or technical school degree (like Devry) when I see that. That's my problem but I'm sure other people have it too. Maybe dropping the "technology" would be good idea.

Yes the situation on Monster is pretty dire for entry level jobs. Oftentimes companies don't bother to post for entry level jobs on the boards (it cost $495 to do so on monster) but recruit at local schools or just post the job on their company website let the graduates come to them.

I would also check out Indeed.com which searches company websites for jobs, and more specialized job websites like Dice.com. There are LOTS of tiny, specialized job boards.

"It's kind of unfortunate they put "technology" at the end of the degree name. I automatically assume it's an associate's degree or technical school degree (like Devry) when I see that. That's my problem but I'm sure other people have it too. Maybe dropping the "technology" would be good idea."

It's not just nomenclature. Engineering and engineering technology are considered different fields, and are handled differently with regard to licensing.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

I got my BSME from OSU my first job out of college was for a position called "Management Associate" at a metal manufacturer.

This was not exactly what I wanted, but their offer was higher than the other jobs.

I didn't really want the job as it was really seemed a path into Management as they described it to me.

But after I started I learned that the company liked to hire their new engineers into this position let them work with the production labor before placing them into an Engineering job.

As for having a Tech Degree, sure in a perfect world a BS would be better, but I know some fine engineers that have 2 year degrees and I know of some shit engineers from very nice schools. It was probably easier for the guys from the fancy schools to get the first job, but after that it is more about how you produce.

Sure you might never be able to sit for the PE Exam, but it isn't the end of the world especially if you want to work in Machinery/Equipment Design. If anything consider a Masters Program.

this message has been approved for citizen to elect kepharda 2008

With your experience and background you really ought to be making more than $12/hour.

Seriously.

Personally I'd advise you to check out working for a fire alarm / fire sprinkler company. You're more than qualified for an entry design position which will pay a lot more than what you're earning now.

With some experience you could easily make 50-70K after passing some NICET exams in addition to owning a business which you could easily make six figures if you're a good manager.

Schneider Electric is a huge and diverse corporation, so landing a technician job there as a starting point doesn't sound that bad.

You will learn about other opportunities within Schneider Electric.

Also, service techs get to go into all sorts of facilities. You will probably speak with any number of plant engineers, manufacturing managers, etc. all of whom can become those all-important contacts in the network of people that you know, and many of them may even have hiring authority for job openings.

Sounds like a pretty good opportunity to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back