Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recent graduate with poor GPA, what do I do about my resume? 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokki

Civil/Environmental
Oct 26, 2006
US
Hi,

I recently graduated from college with a 2.6 GPA overall. Because of some personal issues, I took an extra semester to finish up college. After getting some professional help, I ended up with a 3.4 GPA in the last year and half of college. I don't think I should put down my GPA because it's lower than a 3, but at the same time, I feel like my resume would be dumped pre-interview. The companies wouldn't get to see that I took care of my problems and did better at the end. In this case, what should I do about my GPA on the resume? Should I put down the 2.6? Or should I not put it down at all? Oh, and I don't even have any internship experience. I honestly wouldn't even want to hire myself if I was the interviewer. Any tips on how to improve my chances of landing a civil engineering job? Thanks for any help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

“The more prominent schools get the best of the best in professors because of the research grants and generally the best of the best in students to fill the classes because of the reputation. This will generally result in better and more in-depth training and more competition between students”

Maybe I am deprived of having prominent professors (even though I had fantastic professors who graduated from other engineering colleges from around the country), they all (colleges) still have to put down the same theories and equations on the black board and give exams applying the same theories and equations. And also, having a prestigious professor does not always mean s/he can teach.

I’m not knocking the big colleges but at the same time I’m fascinated that just the name will get you thru doors that other people with degrees could not. This happens with all majors. But the flip side I think is that if you go to a smaller college with less tuition, you will most likely graduate with less to pay towards student loans or have no loans at all. I know people from some big name colleges that have $30k plus in student loans just to have the prestigious name, but after five years of professional experience does it matter?

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."

Yes, it does matter. To a lot of people.

There is another thread in this forum where the poster is trying to determine the best school to go to and the best degree to get.

If it didn't matter, then we wouldn't have the MITs, Harvards and such of the world.

The real question is, does it affect your personal job hunting/retention/execution.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I kind of don’t think it doesn’t after five years of professional experience. I mean if I look at all of the analysis people and even upper managers and directors, their not all from MIT or Harvard or big prestigious schools. Most are from local universities and many are from state and city schools. I would guess there is a good mix of alumni, but one does not dominate more than the other. The same at my level of Senior Mech Engr(and there are 100 plus just under my department and this not including the Jr Mech Engr).

For the OP, your interviewing skills of how you present your self will be key. Yes your college name will carry you higher, but remember who is behind the desk and don’t get cocky.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."

As far as getting your foot in the door, in my experience it's been about "Who" you know rather than "What" you know.

The "Who" can be a direct contact (previous co-worker or boss or internship/co-op) or school related (alumni). I got an interview for a summer job partly because the manager and several engineers came from the university I was attending. He indicated that the company was familiar with what kind of engineer the university produced, liked their practical experience, and knew that students from there wouldn't blow stuff up!

The what you know relates to your work experience, senior projects/designs, internships, co-ops etc.

My advice to students, it to get a job/internship/co-op during school to get the technical and networking experience that will help you succeed.

I agree wiht Tobalcane. I don't think it matters nearly as much after a few years of experience which school you went to, but I do think your GPA, school you went to, comunication/interviewing skills, experience, etc. does matter in the initial job hunt.

My take on the GPA debate is related to other engineering activities undertaken.

In my case I chose to aim for a 2:1 (second best degree you can get in the UK) rather than a first (the best) but at the same time to be technical director and suspension designer for our Uni's Formula SAE racecar program.

I think the debate about street smarts vs. GPA is true to some extent. The majority of people who got firsts in my year did no practical engineering. To study adequately to achieve a first didn't leave any time for that. I deemed the practical experience worthwhile for my career and accepted the compromise.

I also had the pleasure of working with someone who did just as much for the Formula SAE team and got a first. He was exceptional and is now in Formula 1. He was the exception that proved the rule...

Ben

Solution:

Go to school overseas and no one in the US will have a clue what your grade means;-)

Of course it wont count toward PE either but....

In the UK while there are 'proper universities' as opposed to old polys I don't recall there being as much of a perceived difference in value/quality between schools certainly not to the point someone would say a 2:2 from a 'proper uni' is worth a 1st from an old Polly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back