Reciprocation of UL/FM with ATEX

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazak

Electrical
Mar 18, 2010
US
All-

I am currently specifying a electromechanical component for use in hazardous location (hydrogen) typically defined as Class 1 Div 2 Group B.

The device I want to use does not have the typical UL/FM approvals that I know of. It is approved per the ATEX directeive as Ex nA II T3 X for gas service. The only UL approval I can find is cULus recognized (OL) which does not qualify as the HL verification as far as I know.

Is there any reciprocity or validation that can be done to certify this device for US based approvals?

(Keep in mind, I am not the manufacturer, only an end user and do not plan on personally paying to certify this device w/ UL Demko or some other UL agency).

Thanks,
Brian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Easiest way is probably to submit an RFQ (request for quote) to UL and provide them with all available certifications and test reports that your component has. The UL engineer should be able to return a quote with the cost and test plan for the US approval that you're after. You can then use that to determine whether or not it's worth pursuing on your end (or search for another better suited component). The other option is for you to do it yourself, which will be time consuming. Track down the UL approval that you need, then determine the UL standards used for compliance and put together a list of requirements and tests per standard for your component (you'll need to review each standard for this). Once that's all done, cross-reference and compare to the component's existing test records. Whatever is missing will have to be tested and evaluated. Also keep in mind that the end use application may come into play. For example, if your selling the component by itself, no worries, but if it's part of an assembly and you're selling the whole assembly, then you may have to run tests on an assembly level with the (new) component. Good luck.

ps: if you're not sure that the component will pass US construction and test requirements, you can ask UL for a preliminary review project quote (they will review the design/construction against the requirements, but will not test) or again, you can do this yourself by reviewing the standards' materials and construction requirements, and test details, and see if you think it will pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back