Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Reclaimed Concrete Base Material

TJ_Not So Civil Engineer

Civil/Environmental
Oct 7, 2024
US
Does anybody have a feel for what the definition of "reasonably free of objectionable material" actually means? The reclaimed base material the contractor delivered apparently passed all the labs from the materials supplier but it looked like a road to a landfill once spread across the subgrade with plastic, wood, and metal found throughout.

TIA!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, they could have submitted a carefully selected sample for testing or be lying about the results, is one possibility. Contractors aren't exactly known for their honest, legal above board behaviour.

We use recycled demo material in the UK. I have seen terms like less than 1% by weight of deleterious material (i.e. wood, plastic, etc). Assuming 1% of a unit weight of 1800kg/m3 is 18kg. It would actually take a considerable amount of plastic to get to 18kg.

I needs to come down to the old statement 'if deemed unsuitable by the engineer', which is essentially the gut/eye test. You therefore need to have someone supervising the works.

Thanks for all the responses.

The material is being used for road-base on an HMAC roadway. The design firm is trying to claim that objectionable material is included within the 1.5% by mass deleterious material allowance. This seems ludicrous to me b/c it'd take a ton of plastic and wood chunks to account for 1.5% by mass of a base sample containing rock. I mean half of the base depth would need to be wood in order to fail a test.

Back