Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommend a good CFD program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng1234

Mechanical
Nov 21, 2003
US
I'm looking to gain a better understanding of wing shapes,changing yaw angles, and how they are effected at low speeds (below 30 mph). Can someone please offer some advice on programs that can simulate these effects? I have been told designfoil although simplistic, is pretty good?

Thanks!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you just want to run a 3D aerofoil analysis, go for Fluent, Its a fast post processor and will run things like this in light speed (over exageration!!!!) CFX - because of its concentration on a pretty and very very user friendly GUI, I find a little slow in its post processor phase. Star-CD....well, its a beautiful all rounder, and I had the privalige of meeting some of the team at adapco in london when I went on a training course, they are awesome at their jobs and a friendly bunch. Ansys CFX staff are also of a high quality in there support, especially Mr.Everitt.
I dont have any experience with Fluents support staff.

anyway, all do a good CFD job, but for a quick simple analysis I would go for Fluent

For what it is worth, the Johns Hopkins fluids folks use Fluent. Don't know much about it other than that.

I have used CFX to desing a ship waterjet. The modeler provides the basic primitives, but is cumbersome with any complex shapes. I would recommend using a CAD modeler and importing. On the other hand, I have also found it difficult to import complicated models into the program. CFX has difficulty matching edges and recognizing complete models. I have also had an inordinate amount of sliver surfaces. It takes some real work to create something in another program in such a way that CFX treats it properly.

Having said that, once you get the model into CFX, it runs pretty well. I like the interface in each module of the software (Preprocessor, Run Manager and Postprocessor). I would not trust the free-surface results though.

Jeff

Guys,

Thanks for your input on programs. I will look more in depth to the fluent program. We plan in initially create all part models using Ideas, than import those cross sections into a program for analysis.

oceandesigner:
cfx works very fine with proe or catia. it depends on how you define the model. CFX-Build (CFX 5.v6 or early) had one of the best healing tool. The 5.7 prep DesignModeler from WBE + CFX-Mesh or ICEM CFD4.CFX work perfect with cad software.

eng1234:
The ansys's cfd solution (the old flotran and the new cfx) is one of the best!
You can do cfd and fsi (fluid(&thermal)-structure interaction). Fluent tries now to do it with Abaqus but they are just with a lot of steps behind.

Perhaps you read my words to oceandesigner... the preprocesor for fluent, gambit, is very difficult (but is good). the solver is also good but not as good as cfx.

Other medium cfd products..pheonix/flotherm flomerics/bn cfdesign/avl fire/msc cfdrc
all are working for your problem with good thinking and BC

H

Hi!
we use Fluent6.0 under unix ( we use reflection X to communicate with windows). my company wants to move to Fluent windows version, to use MicroSoft capabilites especially in postprocessing part of CFD.

anyone has experience/thoughts regarding this matter?
do you think it is a wise move?

Thanks

The engineering programs I use are mostly available for both Win2000 and Unix. My PC is substantially faster as a local solver, but the Unix machines are better set up for submitting jobs elsewhere.

Cost wise there is no doubt that the PC is a better bet, and the up-time on each is similar.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back