Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommend computer languages for ME's

Status
Not open for further replies.

amorrison

Mechanical
Dec 21, 2000
CA
I learned Fortran in Univ. 30 years ago and haven't done any programing since.
Can anyone recommend current languages useful for casual programming for control(robotics, PID, I/O etc.) and visual simulations (for education)useful to general ME studies while having some fun.
Any fast learn via example CD's/books on VB. c++, Java ?? that are writted more to ME situations than to computer science /programmer situations. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Visual Basic and C++ are used to extend many applications, including MS Office and SolidWorks. There are many great teach-yourself books out there. Most VB books come with a "working model" edition for practice.

While not an ME I would have to recommend Visual Basic. I learned using GW Basic years ago and I studied fortran and it seemed similar. I have never used C or Java but one of the advantages is its interoperability with MS Office and other programs.

VB and other Languages are available as learning editions in various bookstores. You could try out a few that way.

Have a good day

Gerald Austin
Iuka, Mississippi

Hi.

I think VC/VC++ better for programming robotics and IO.
Programming in C harder than VB, but you will need specific
control for robotic.

When u made progs. in VB, Windows interfere with your IO & prog. It slow downs your appl. You have to control
interface cards (motor drivers, etc.) in high speed.Making
APIs (in C) will be a better solution in your situation.

As I know, the most important problem is data frequency.
When positioning resolution of your system increased, your
frequency of collecting data increases. Using hardware
drivers in your system helps controlling. Your prog. will
set required pos.values to hardware and hw controls axis drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back