Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommendation for windshield rain sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chancy99

Computer
May 13, 2002
US
Hi All -

Can anyone recommend a source for a windshield rain sensor ? Preferably one that doesn't require a 10,000 unit purchase :)

I'll take pretty much any technology, resistance, refraction, whatever. I just want to retrofit an auto-trigger for the wipers on our cars ... Interfacing to a small microcontroller shouldn't be too much of a worry. One pin for the output relay, one for an enable switch and one or two for the sensor input.

Thanks -

Dean.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This may be a stupid idea but what about that conductive tape that alarm companies put on glass to tell if the glass has been broken, you could put a couple of small pieces together and if water was present it could complete the circuit like a switch.

You could try the MLX90255. It is a linear array which is suitable for automotive, the drawback is you would have to interpret a bit-stream to get the output information. I don't know if you already thought about this? But it's an appropriate sensor and you can buy them in single pieces I think at Melexis.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back