Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommendation Needed for chiller to cool 6000 cfm air supply to -40 C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry767

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2004
CA
Can anyone recommend the best way to chill a make up air supply of maximum 6000 cfm to as low as -40 C? Assume a max run time of the system to be 1-2 hours although the longer the better. If there are commercial systems available to do this please let me know what company(s) to contact.

Thanks,

Larry Jorgenson
PAMI
Humboldt, SK, Canada

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Application: Approx. 40' X 16' X 16' Environmental chamber with less than 20T cooling capacity at -40C. Able to cool the room to -40 C or colder for static testing of (non heat generating) objects and materials. Now we want to run vehicles in this room and still maintain -40C throughout the duration of the tests. Max cycle time would probably be twice per day but we would accept doing this only once per day and allowing it to take 6-12 hours to "recover". We are aware of the McKinley Climatic Laboratory and would like to accomplish something similar but only running conventional internal combustion engines say up to 60L in size. Typical machinery we want to test would be under 10L in size - we are estimating a maximum airflow to replenish the air used by combustion and remove the additional heat to be 6000 cfm.

Thanks.

Larry Jorgenson, P.Eng (Mechanical - U of S, 1994)
Prairie Agricultural Machinery Institute (PAMI)
Humboldt, SK Canada

In my experience, this type of cooling is usually done with liquid nitrogen or CO2. If your testing is not very frequent you don't even need a storage tank, just order a truckload for each test.

Compositepro: can you expand on that? We have done some investigation into using Liquid Nitrogen but are there any references that you can point me to which describe the best practices for this type of use?

Larry Jorgenson, P.Eng (Mechanical - U of S, 1994)
Prairie Agricultural Machinery Institute (PAMI)
Humboldt, SK Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back