Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommendation on NEMA 4X enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

philzone1234

Mechanical
Jun 17, 2009
US
Hello,

Need to find a good off the shelf NEMA 4X enclosure to house non-incendive electronics for use in a Class 1 Division 2 hazardous location.

The application is for wireless and I am looking for a vendor that handles these types of apps and may have a box suited for this. Something that might have integral parts for passing cable through(i.e. cable glands).

I'm looking for something about 12 inches high,8 inches wided and about 4 inches in depth. I'd like it to have hinged doors with captive fasteners.

Our competition has a cast enclosure with and upper and lower compartment each with a hinged door. the lower compartment can be used to disconnect the unit and the upper compart ment has the main electronics. Does anyone know of any NEMA 4x boxes that have upper and lower compartments, they all seem to be single.

THanks,

Phil

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

McMaster-Carr carries a line of Hoffman Enclosure knock-offs if you want low volumes. Then there is always Hoffman for volume. These come in steel, alum, and molded "plastic", plain and painted.

Remember, if the entry/exit holes are more than simple drilled or hand-punched holes, than generating complex hole patterns in a formed box is where the true finished-cost of the box lies. You might buy the box for $35 and then spend $600 machining holes in it. So watch yourself.

I highly suggest the bare aluminum since adding the holes will be less trouble than steel or "plastic". You won't have to re-finish after adding holes either. Then you'll also pick up some shielding and ease of grounding. A lot of large molded fiberglass boxes have 3-5 deg draft and 1/4" thk walls, which take all the fun out of mounting connectors.

Lastly, NEMA 4 and 4X really only means "water can't get out" !!! Over the years, condensation will fill your "water tight" enclosure with several quarts of water unless you provide a 1/16" weep hole at the lowest point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back