Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommendations for a drawing program

Status
Not open for further replies.

a70duster

Electrical
Mar 14, 2005
US
Hello all,

I'm looking for a simple drawing program. The application is for simple electrical schematics. The ideal program would allow me to import scanned in schematics as a "background" and allow me to add to the existing schematic.

This program will be used by other not-so-computer-savvy employees, so the easier to use, the better.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't used Visio in some years, but it used to be good for sketches.

If you need more precision, QuickCad is a good low-end CAD system. It's cheap, easy to use, and good enough for many applications.

------------------------------------------
"...students of traffic are beginning to realize the false economy of mechanically controlled traffic, and hand work by trained officers will again prevail."

Wm. Phelps Eno, ca. 1928

AutoCAD would work fine for that I'm sure, if you have about $3,500 to spend... If you need something quick and easy you may look into the GIMP which is a raster based program. It would be good enough for simple electrical schematics and it's a free open source program. Inkscape is another free vector based program that may work as well. It's also open source.
There is also an open source cadd software called PythonCAD, but i have not tried it before so I don't know if it would work. I believe it does not run on Windows.

Mike,

Which program did you find best, as I am currently looking for a simple program myself. I want to do simple sketches.

I like to use autocad, but just can not afford the cost.

Thanks
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back