Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Recommendations for in-class courses for learning P&C

Status
Not open for further replies.

qman5

Electrical
Sep 10, 2012
CA
As part of my yearly training, I have been tasked to select something that will in aid my development. I'd like to learn more about the fundamentals of P&C. I would like to get your recommendations on courses that you think are worth taking. In classroom is preferred.

If it was up to me, I'd love to attend a class part time at a local university, but this doesn't seem to be an option.

As far as my knowledge, I did take 2 power courses in university that I forget almost all of. I would like to relearn the absolute basics and symmetrical components. Otherwise, my knowledge is super high level only. I understand communications, the purposes of protection and the need, but I want to be able to design a SLD from scratch, while balancing the economics of the implementation.

Any recommendations? I see that the University of Wisconsin is quite good. Wondering if there is anything better? There are some local classes from EPIC, but it seems to be only 1 or 2 days -- I'd prefer a week of classroom training.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Michigan Tech and University of Idaho have very good classes that you can take through their outreach program. A lot of the people at SEL have MS and Ph.D's from U of I. Brian Johnson is the department had at UofI and he teaches two courses on protection. Michigan Tech. is very good and Mork as an excellent class on protection. The only big difference between the two programs is that Mich. Tech teaches outreach courses concurrently with on campus courses. So, you are taking a class with 30-60 people and get to hear their comments and read their forum post. U of I has much smaller classes and has pre-recorded and concurrent classes. Since they offer pre-recorded classes, you don't have to wait the cycle to take a specific class like at MTU. Bang per your buck, these classes offer a lot more than SEL's training and cost about the same. You got to put more work into it, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back