Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommendations for Learning Matlab/Simulink

Status
Not open for further replies.

spggodd

Mechanical
Mar 16, 2012
GB
Hi,

I have some previous experience of using Matlab and Simulink but I have never used it in force, I foresee an application in my workplace (creating dynamic models of systems with multiple gearboxes) whereby I will need to be quite proficient in these tools.

Can anyone with experience recommend any good books for getting to grips with Matlab and particularly Simulink.
I'm also interested in any recommended courses that I can attend bearing in mind I am based in the UK.

Thanks for you time.
Steve

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Learning by doing is the best way, in my opinion. Doing some abstract problem as part of an exercise in a book is snooze-ville-ish, you have little interest, and little motivation. Doing a problem that you have to solve provides both. There are gobs of example scripts in the Mathworks website, and elsewhere on the web.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

I highly recommend the Simulink training course, if your employers will pay for it. The one I did was called Simulink for system and algorithm modeling. It was 3 days and it was pretty tough work.

I've never understood training courses for programming languages, just get a decent reference book if you like and use google. That being said my code tends to be simple and short, mostly I'm just converting file formats and plotting, and a bit of signal analysis. I find the free Matlab seminars are fairly inspirational, even if they are a bit Holy Roller at times. The last one I went to had an hour on analysing ugly multi factor experiment data, it gave me some really good techniques. The latest gui looks great, but I'm stuck with 2009a which interestingly has many of the 'new' features but I didn't know they were there.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Hi !
I am new here, so excuse me if I am posting in the wrong thread.
I've used MathCAD for 10+ years up until 2005, and it was invaluable for system design.
I do embedded systems of all types, including software, firmware and hardware design.

I loved MathCAD for calculating whole system constraints, like for a robot involving electrical motors and mechanical lengths and tolerances, etc. And at the same time documenting design of the system, software size, and hardware circuits, like analog tolerances and noise. IE parameters that may not be easy to do in a SPICE-based EE IDE software.

But now I have to learn MatLab.
I have plenty of MatLAb resources and will learn it by doing- but it is not obvious like MathCAD was.

But, then, why is MathCAD still around ? Is it dying, or will it be totally replaced by MatLAb in the future?

Are they both equally useful for analysis of a system before designing the details ?
I guess Simulink and MatLab are the best now ?

Hope this is an interesting post !
Mike

Please refrain from hijacking other peoples' threads.

Mathcad and Matlab serve different purposes, and different users. People often use Mathcad to prototype problems before using Matlab to do the final coding. Mathcad provides complete and transparent support of units as well as symbolic math.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back