Recommendations for MS EE program 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MontyHall

Chemical
Dec 22, 2004
US
Hello,

I'm going to start my MS EE this fall and was wondering which specialty I should pursue. If I had to rank my existing choices most to least interesting (1 - 10, X not interested at all)

1. VLSI and microcircuits - ASIC design, digital electric circuit design, mixed signal circuits
1.25. Signal processing and communications
3. Control Systems & Robotics
4. Computer architecture - not sure about this one.

8. Electromagnetics - not sure about this.
X. Electronic Devices - process engineering
X. Power Systems - unions

There are so many factors to consider that I hope you folks may be able to help me with making a choice. I'm going to Michigan State, so I would rather not be a guineapig for a prof in a speciality that isn't even hiring or isn't well known/(connected to industry.) It seems I may be safer to stick to bread and butter EE work - like analog/digital circuit design or signal processing.

In fact, if I can get comments on any of my choices in terms of market demand short/long term wrt to the school that I'm going to and whether or not if job duties are engineering/(re)designing/updating like vs. manufacturing (see next paragraph), I would really appreciate it!

I'm a Chemical Engineer who used to work at Dow Chemical 2 years and then a semiconductor fab for 5 years. When my plant closed and I was laid off I was relieved because "I CAN'T STAND PROCESS ENGINEERING/BABYSITTING!!!" My ultimate goal is to have a job where I can actually build and create something.

Since I'm ranting about my former career in chemical engineering.... Sheesh, I'm already having bad vibes about the future. Maybe I should cram for my MCAT and go to medical school (just turned 33). I already know that I'm going to get laid off when I get a few gray hairs @ age 50. And the NSF is wondering why engineering enrollment is dropping....

Regards,

MOnty

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Monty,

If you don't mind leaving MI than the VLSI and semiconductor is the way to go; I only know of one fab running in MI. So much electronics is moving toward sytem-on-chip that the IC designers will be very strong for years to come. If you want to stay in MI, signal processing and communications are probably your best bet, follwed by controls. The auto industry needs all the help it can get these days, and offers some interesting opportunities. There is some other high-tech going on in Ann Arbor so automotive isn't your only option in MI.

Electromagnetics as a minor may open up some opportunities too.

I took a few classes in the past at UofM towards my MSEE. Never finished though... The real world got in the way... Maybe that MBA one of these days...

As far as design engineering vs. manufacturing engineering, screen your potential employers well and you'll be able to avoid the process babysitting. If I'm not designing or exploring something new I go nuts!

Thanks ZappedAgain,

I'm going to act on your advice. May I ask what locations and companies you would have in mind off the top of your head for IC designers? I thinking I may be interested in RF IC/Mixed Signal IC design. Is the market for IC designers saturated? FYI: Back to the location question, I used to live in San Jose, loved it - used to go to Frisco, Los Gatos, and Santa Cruz all the time - but hated the cost of living. When I moved from MN to CA, my rent went from $350/mo to $1500 - a good price considered by all my SJ colleagues. I almost had a heart attack. Its a good price if you get a cost of living adjustment, but I didn't get one or a moving allowance because the fab was in pretty bad financial shape. I was lucky that I still had a job as I fled from the MN plant just before it closed. Yes, I would gladly move from MI.

I have a few more questions:
1. What would be a typical career path for IC designers? Would I start designing IC's (I wouldn't think so)?
2. Since you've taken MS EE courses, do MS EE's do summer interns typically? I'd like to start targeting potential employers.
3. Do I have a strike against me for having a BS in ChE - especially if MS EE students don't have time for internships(Q#3).

I have more questions about grad school, but I'm going to save it for another post.

Thanks Again,

Monty

Semi companies are mainly West coast, Texas, and a few in Colorado and the East coast (last time I checked TX and CO have lower costs of living). Analog design has been a very hot market for the last few years and I expect the trend will continue (yes, even post tech-bubble of 2000). A lot of the design work comes down to the physics of the devices, so if you are good at the math you can go far.

The nice thing about ICs is that there are many levels to the design and thus your career path puts you into design rather soon. I know of one company that hired an engineer with only about three years experience and another with about 15 years of analog experience (not at the IC level though). They both started at very different levels in the process and within about a year they were both designing parts of the IC.

I took my MSEE courses part time while I was working full time so I don't know much about internships. From the employer side, I do know that a lot of companies in MI do hire interns for engineering help over the summer.

If you are strong in physics your BSChE could be a plus. The semiconductor processes are evolving so fast that even they are being designed, not tweaked or babysat.

I only completed three courses toward my MSEE so I don't know I'll be much help about the degree. I can tell you that going part time on a full time campus gives you a few extra hurdles; part time on a part time campus is much more sane.

Good luck.

I am doing my MS EE thesis in indoor propagation , ( EM) , do I have a chance to get a job , who knows what campanies can I send to mmy CV and is this brach wanted market wise

DW7672,

What is your MS experience like(I start this fall)? From my limited point of view, it seems I just take 3 9credit semesters of classes and one summer w/ a 4 credit thesis course. This thesis class has always seemed a blackbox. Does a prof throw me a problem to work on in the summer and that is a basis of my thesis? Or do I go home, get an intern, and just self study and concoct a thesis - using the advisor to answer questions?

The going to class part is straightforward/clear to me. The avisor/thesis aspect isn't. Greatly appreciate if you can share your experience.

Monty

well,,,,
it all depends on you , and the porfessor , what he or she will expect from you , what do they like , practical thesis , simutaltion , on site thesis , is ur thesis funded by a compnay or not , courses are easy , just read what is wrriten and see ur ability to understand , but thesis , some days , u will not find a soltuion and suddenly it will spark,
depends on your patience way or organization and thinking , I have been in msater of thesis for two years , if I was master of courses I would have finsehd it froma long time

Do what you enjoy most, rest will fall in place.

The fact is it does not matter what you learn, what matters is that whether or not you are good at it. More importantly can you put that knowledge to some good use or not. As for earning goes, this may hurt you ego, but a good plumber makes more money than average EE’s in the USA so do celebrity hair dressers.

It's a matter of if your skill are useful to others or not.

I am in the power industry (utility). One thing interesting about this industry is the retirement issue. 40% to 50% of this industries employees are eligible for retirement within the next 5 years. Management is figuring this out and is getting concerned. In addition, a ton of new power plants are needed to meet growing energy demand. If all this happens there will be lots of jobs both with the utilities and with the suppliers (I like the utility work) and salaries should be good.

MontyHall,

With your background in chemical engineering, I would suggest control systems as a specialty. You would be a valuable addition to any company that does chemical process control with an MSEE in addition to your BS. There are a wide variety of fields available in which to work in this type of job, such as food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, oil and gas, semiconductors, etc. I currently work as a controls engineer and frequently find myself wishing I knew more about chemical processing equipment and operations. I love the field, and I've never had any trouble finding work.

xnuke
"Do you think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

DW,

I expect wireless will be a hot area for several years to come (802.11a --> 11b --> 11g --> WiFi --> WiMax --> ???) so you as long as you find it interesting you are in a good field. Check out the "antenna design interview questions" thread in the Microwave and Electromagnetic Engineering forum. If you understand the questions there you'll do well in RF.

As far as companies, check the e-mag magazines that are out there; even EE-Times is pretty good. Off the top of my head I suggest Cisco and some of the other high end wireless providers. I epect all the low end stuff (Linksys, Netgear, etc.) is being designed in Japan.

jplinn:
If there is a serious shortage of EEs in power, won't there be considerable pressure to simply import power EEs from other countries, instead of taking the effort to train US engineers? I'd like to think that the companies would train engineers, but executives will likely push to increase the number of visas.

At least with my company (Electric Utility)we are hiring new EE graduates (or graduates with 1 to 2 years of experience. Then putting them with seasoned engineers to develop there power expertise. We do no not look overseas for new grads. Due to the nature of utilities being part of local community, I believe they will look inside first then outside when necessary.

We hire new graduates from US colleges. Your right, many of the engineers with 1 to 2 years of experience are foreign born, but most have been practicing engineering in the states.

Our biggest problem is that young engineers are not interested in the power industry. It is precieved as boring. Very few US schools have a good power programs.

In my department (Power Supply Services) of the last 5 new grad engineers all were US schooled.

Large OEM (GE, Siemens-Westinghouse, Bechtel etc.) do hire extensively from overseas. Many of these engineers eventually work there way into utilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back