Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommended Precast Design Book 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

struggle66

Civil/Environmental
Jul 5, 2013
SG
Hi

Which precast design book (either Prestressed or RC) would you recommend especially for connection details, precast slab (Hollow Core, Precast Tee, Precast Plank etc..)& precast beams?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

PCI Manual would be my first stop. There're some great European docs available for connections as well.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

For prestressed I second the PCI Design Handbook; especially for connection design and details specific to precasting (lifting and handling, for example). I'd also recommend PCA notes on ACI 318 for the general ACI requirements related to precast/prestressed design. A good textbook I've used for studying prestressed design in more detail is Naaman's Prestressed Concrete Analysis and Design. He gets very heavy into some aspects so this is not a introductory text but he does a great job of covering the aspects of prestressed design in great detail with examples for both ACI 318-11 and AASHTO LRFD bridge design. You'll end up reading chapters multiple times to get all the details out of it but it's worth it in the end.

You mentioned only beams and slabs; if you have other tasks such as below grade structures, pavement slabs, bridge decks, columns, wall panels, or other such precast items I can give you some direction on those as well.

Professional Engineer (ME, NH, MA) Structural Engineer (IL)
American Concrete Industries

I believe it's hardcopy only, if you can't afford the full price then try to find a used copy online somewhere. 7th edition is the latest last I checked but 6th edition will still have pretty much everything you need.

PCI also has a bridge design manual as well if you're doing bridges rather than buildings.

Professional Engineer (ME, NH, MA) Structural Engineer (IL)
American Concrete Industries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back