Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Recommended Reading for engineering students 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiataTony

Mechanical
Aug 17, 2012
I'm currently a third year Mechanical Engineering student at S.F. State and I've decided that I want to go into the automotive industry and I'd like to learn more about the engineering behind cars. Does anyone have any recommendations for specific books on automotive engineering? So far I'm just planning on getting 2-3 of the highest rated automotive engineering books I found on Amazon.

Also, what are some tips to get into the automotive industry? There isn't a Formula SAE club at S.F. State so I'm worried that my resume won't be chosen over those from other schools who are a part of Formula SAE who may have more experience related to the automotive industry when I graduate. Although, I do have experience working on my Miata, i.e. changing shocks, springs, anti roll bars, brakes, etc., just basic car maintenance, but I'm not sure if that's worth mentioning on a resume.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The advice I received was not to mention that we worked on our own steam engines, as they were at the time. Writing as an occasional interviewer I think that is slightly precious advice, but bear in mind that by the time I see a resume plenty of other people will have had a chance to reject it, and they will have their own prejudices. To be honest one reason I got my first job was that I had the same model of lathe at home as my main interviewer.

As for books, practically speaking Carroll Smith gets the guernsey. In more detail Heywood and Ludvigsen on engines, Milliken on vehicle dynamics, Timoshenko on structures. Both books by JE Gordon are essential reading. I would guess that Setright's books are interesting, and Americans seem to admire his ridiculous style and tone.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

If you want general automotive engineering, I'd save my money and not buy Heywood. Spend the money instead on the Bosch Automotive Handbook. It is exhaustive in its coverage, not just focused on engines.

- Steve

For a good basis in engineering for commercial vehicles, I recommend anything from the SAE Ray Buckingdale Lecture series. The papers are available as individual documents or compiled as text books (Truck Systems Design Handbook Vol I and II).

I have also found that some of the text books from the 50s and 60s are good for explaining systems from first principles. I have a copy of Crouse's Automotive Mechanics from 1956 I reference frequently as well as a 1961 GM Technician's Training manual. If you can confirm the basics of your design are sound it makes troubleshooting a more modern complicated design easier. Plus the illustrations are real works of art, no CAD generated geometry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back