Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommended ventilation rate 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisConley

Mechanical
May 13, 2002
CA
Does anyone know the recommended ventilation rate for a photocopier room, per photocopier? Specifically I am working on a room that is 8ft x 12ft with a 9ft ceiling; one photocopier, one occupant.

Based on one occupant, recommended office ventilation is 20 cfm, but photocopiers generate ozone (at what rate I'm not sure). I was thinking that 6-7 ACH (86-100 cfm) would be more than adequate, but would appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ChrisCloney:

I think you would not worry about putting more ventilation if the photcopier is a new type. The older models exhumed fumes and needed some ventilation (exhaust over the photcopier). The new ones just are an added heat load in the room. 20cfm for a person is good for ventilation.

But if your total heat load is higher than a similar room without a photocopier, you will have to supply more air to satisfy the load. MOre supply air to come from the central AC unit. Since the outdoor air intake is set up at the unit itself, you will get more ventilation in that room anyways.

Vic

Vic,

Thank-you for your response. The photocopier is a new type, but there are other issues. I'm not designing the room; I'm rebalancing the building exhaust system. The room is in an old government office, and the woman who uses the photocopier heard that the ozone it generated was going to kill her. She made a huge complaint and a new exhaust fan was installed to exhaust from the space.

The problem was that rather than using a new exhaust duct the contractor tapped into the existing washroom exhaust system. This had the result of 'robbing' exhaust from every floor below. At the same time my company was hired to design the upgrade for their washroom exhaust system, which we did, but we were never informed of the new fan. Now I'm trying to find a number that I can throw at the building manager to keep the photocopier lady happy, and allow the washrooms to exhaust.

Chris

Of all the responses I've ever seen you write lilliput, that was probably the least useful.

Why even write? Just trying to get your 'reply' numbers up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back