Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Record the real-time feed rate from CNC machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

farzad89

Mechanical
May 9, 2014
NL
I am searching for a connection way between a PLC of CNC machines and a PC(laptop). I need to record the real-time feed rate from machine. One of the ways that I've found is CP5611 communication board that should be connected to the CNC from PC, and another way is OPC server communication software. Which way is true? How can I record the real-time feed rate?

Respectfully

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check with your control manufacturer. The capability may already be built in, even on closed architecture systems.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

badservo, thank you for your notification, But I thought that here I can get some different answers.

ornerynorsk, thank you for your attention. My controllers are Siemens 802d and Fanuc 0-m. The feed rate recording is not these controllers capability, I am searching a solution.

Predator Software makes a data collection product called FOCAS that I've been told works with many Fanuc controllers. I'm not familiar enough with the Siemens line to give any suggestions.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

ornerynorsk, thank you for your interest. I've just searched about Predator Software (Predator DNC) and I've found a training video about it.

Link

can I get machine real feed rate with this software ? you know, I need real feed rate during machining, maybe in three axis (X, Y, Z) to calculate real feed rate (V = sqr(Vx^2 + Vy^2 + Vz^2))

I want to ask the question why do you need the feedrate? The velocity of the various slides does not give you the true feed rate. Say you have a 1" diameter mill and you are milling a .625" radius the periphery of the cutter is performing the actual feedrate while the centerline of movement should be slower to give the correct chip load in inches per revolution per tooth. Most of the time the information which is usually useful is the cycle time of the machine. If you are tyring to improve the cycle time by maximizing the feed rate and thus reduce the cycle time. What you really need to maintain is the chip load being consistent. There are times when even this does not work due to poor chip evacuation from the cutting zone, poor coolant flow, material being either on the high side of hardness specification or on the low side causing gummy material impact the machining characteristics. Also think of a 5 axis machining center rotating on the B axis and the X, Y and Z slides simply not moving. What is the velocity then, zero.
You are not seeing the whole picture with slide velocity.

Bill

BillPSU, Thank you for your reply. My question is about 3-axis machines and the real feed rate is not the programmed one (NC Program). the real feed rate is calculated by (V = sqr(Vx^2 + Vy^2 + Vz^2)). I discuss about the real feed rate, don't the chip load or the cycle time.

ornerynorsk, SINUCOM NC is a software like Predator DNC for Siemens controllers. How can I use the Predator software to receive feed rate from CNC ? Thank you

Your best answer for your particular situation will come from the software dealer. The machine will have to be on a LAN/Ethernet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back