Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recording from a cell phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

astroclone

Aerospace
Nov 17, 2001
US
Hello,
I'm looking for a way to output my cell phone into my computer. Basically I want to be able to record cell phone messages to my computer.
I figured on using the earphone and splice it into a microphone and walla, but it seems to easy that way and I don't want to hurt my computer. Any suggestions?
T

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try a Suction Cup Telephone Pickup as sold on and many other places. Low tech, easy, simple, and cheap!

Running the earphone jack to the computer audio input would probably work, and PROBABLY wouldn't damage your computer. Most likely, the biggest risk would be reduction in audio quality due to overdriving the input amp on the sound card; that could be overcome by turning down the volume on the phone. This just seems to back up the idea of direct connection of earphone jact to line-level input: . Here's a site claiming to sell exactly what you need, an "Olympus Compaticord - KA-232", which would seem to also go by the more common name of "wire": . The "Olympus TP-6 Telephone Recording Kit", at the same site, would also do the trick. If you're real worried about your sound card, you could try an impedance matcher such as this: --they've "have taken care to match the recorder signal demands electronically" -- I believe this device would also otherwise go by the generic name of "wire" or "patch cord".

Cellophone messages can be accessed from computer through suitable rs232 interface connector and "AT" Command Sets. It differs from phone to phone. U can read messages ans numbers from sim memory as well as from phone memory. It depends on ur phone and model number. It must support GSM AT command Set.Then only ur PC can download messages to PC from ur cellphone.

i would splice the output of your headphone jack into a 1:1 audio transformer to overcome any impedance problems and then just turn down the volume on the phone toget a better quality recording

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back