Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rectangle tool - alternatives? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkelecy

Mechanical
Jun 9, 2003
US
I'm currently doing a trial of SW, having just completed a trial of SE. It's been interesting seeing how they compare. So far I've found them to be pretty similar in a lot of ways There are a lot of differences though (mostly minor) and it's one of these I have a question about (I'm sure I'll have others).

In SW, when drawing a rectangle there a number of options available. For example, you can draw it based on opposite corners, or centerpoint-corner, or three points, etc. There's even a tool for a parallelogram. However, in SE I only see one method, based on three points. Are there others also, but just hidden somewhere? I ask, because I've come across other features I thought only SW had, only to find SE had it, but just organized differently (and often more powerful). And some of these drawing options are handy to have, depending on the situation. Even Cobalt (what I've been using) has some of these. So I'd be surprised of SE didn't.

Thanks for any feedback on this.

Pat

These altern

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

pkelecy,

It's a bit of a PITA.Really! it's a shame.
But yes you can draw a rectangle from center etc....
But you have to download a free plugin/macro for it from a
german site.
To be honest i don't use it a lot. But you are right.
Sometimes it could be very handy to have.

There is actually two way for drawing a rectangle, one is by clicking, dragging and releasing (kind of opposite corners). And the other is by three point as you mentionned.

I don't think there is an automated option for parallelogram though

Patrick

No it doesn't have these options.
As it happens I'm on a Catia V5 (also Dassault) course this week and that has some really good options .
Rectangle, parallelogram, rotated versions, centred versions, straight slots, curved slots etc.
However, do you really need them?
In Catia V5 I would say they are a great help because constraining stuff is more complex (and a little tedious - 3 or 4 times as many clicks).
I've found in SE that things are so quick to sketch and constrain that I've never thought "I wish I had these commands"
You could always create some pre-defined sketches that you can copy/paste.
By the way, to place a square, hold the shift key when placing a rectangle.
Have you tried the 'Free Sketch' (under the line/point icon)
Drag your cursor round to a rough shape and it will create lines and arcs to approximate the shape.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Hi All,
While we're on this subject, although not quite a rectangle, an obround command would be a real bonus especially within the Sheetmetal environment. Having to draw a rectangle then constrain circles each end and then position the obround is a little tedious.

I agree with beach, constraining stuff after you've sketched it is so easy I rarely wish for more standard shapes. Heck, making hexagons etc. is quite cool if you ask me, knowing a couple of tricks that speed it up, but having a standard sketch to pick & place would probably be quicker. It would require less skill too, carefull what you wish for or we'll all be replaced my CAD monkies straight out of school;-).

karmoh, at the user conference in 2006 they were asked to add 'slots' as a pick an place feature like holes. This would probably address your concerns, if they ever decide to do it.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies:

Karmoh,

funny, never seen this word "obround", but english is not my native language.

I find it much faster to use the line tool to draw one, if done correctly all relationships are automatically applied.

I saved the regular ones we use as features in our library, but of course a direct tool in Sheetmetal environment would be useful.

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't aware of click-drag for a two-point rectangle or shift for a square. That's good to know (I tried both, and they work well).

bc - with regard to all the rectangle tools, you asked if I really need them. I think KENAT answered that. In the right situation they save time (at least a little). Technically you don't need a rectangle tool at all (depending on your definition of need). You could generate it all with lines. But I don't think anyone would want to do that.

In my case, I asked about this mainly because I'm trying to decide between SW and SE, and in comparing these two I want to make sure I don't make wrong assumptions about what one packages has (or doesn't have, as the case may be). So in that regard, the feedback was very useful (and again, they turn out to be closer than it originally appeared).

Pat

"Obround" - not heard that for years, and I thought it was only me that used it.
This can be done using the symetric offset command.
Just sketch a line for the centre of the slot and you can set width, end conditions etc. Make the centre line construction.
It works for arcs also.
So there is a really quick way without applying tangents etc. To edit the offset just click it then select the options icon.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

You know, I really don't use the rectangle that much, I tend to create them from lines. Doesn't mean I'm right to do it that way but it's how I normally end up doing it.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies:

Obround :) very retro, throw back to my ‘70’s apprenticeship in England.

Thanks for tip Beachcomber, it amazes me how I’ve missed this one. It’s funny how we tend to get set in our ways with cad systems and just do things.

Moral to this thread
I used to say to myself and my peers. ‘I have got 8 years experience with this software; don’t tell me what to do.' But really if I kept going about my work the same way, thinking I had really tried everything.
When in fact I had 1 year of experience, but it was 8 years old! ;-)

Pat
You may be interested that some of these things have been addressed in SE w ST2, due mid 2009. Here is a quote from the NG made by head of SE development:

"Better late than never, the polygon command is already working in ST2. As is the rectangle by two corners and rectangle by center. No doubt too long in coming. My apologies for that. But as you can see, we continue to work "core" issues."

By the sound of it, based on other comments, ST2 sounds like a substantial release. Particularly the addition of ST sheet metal.

Tony

Tony, -thanks for the update. Glad to hear improvements are on the way. The main "missing" one I could see using is the rectangle by center. It's quite common to want to create a rectangular base feature centered at the origin, and this would make that a little easier.

xedu - thanks for the link. Do you have to be a registered user to download this? If so, I won't have access since I'm still on a trial. But it's good to know it's there if I go SE (which is looking more likely).

Pat

This might be out of subject, but for same command "rectangle"

When selecting point on exisitng element as a corner, It doesn't create relationship by default. I have to relate it with "connect" after drawing rectangle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back