Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rectangular Pressure Vessel Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvikas

Mechanical
Sep 6, 2002
IN
Daer Sir,

This is regarding large power transformer design. It contents transformer oil, which is an insulating oil & used to cool the transformer windings. Here the oil is flowing from bottom of the tank (which is rectangular in shape) to the top. Oil is hot having temp of approx. 120 degree centigrade.
I need your help for calculating the pressure & velocity inside the tank at the bottom as well as at the top of the tank.
The oil is cooled to the temp of 30-40 deg. cel. by using the heat exchangers which are placed outside the tank. oil from is sucked from the top of the tank by using the pump then it is cooled in heat exchanger then allow to flow inside the tank from bottom of the tank.
What type of calculation shall I do.

Thanks.
Vikas Dahivadkar.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello dvkas

The ASME pressure vessel code Section VIII Division 1 has a section devoted to the design of rectangular tanks. It is in its Appendix 13. There is also software available to take the drudge out of this work. I use CodeCalc from COADE ( The hand calculations is rather lengthy otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back