Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rectangular Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlarocque

Mechanical
Jun 10, 2003
CA
I am designing a rectangular tank and need to have it comply using Mohr's Stresses formulas. I know of some FEA that could do something but according to ASME appendix 13.
Meygesy' PV handbook has a simplified method

Tanks has to comply to this equation....
S = 0.5 (Sy + Sx) ± [0.25(Sy – Sx)2 + Ss2]0.5

JL

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you have a question?

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Do you know of some way of doing this analysis in an efficient manner. Where to read about rectangular steel tank design?

JL

won't your FE output principal stresses ? von Mises stresses ??

if think your equation is "just" the principal stress equation, and if your FEA outputs max (and min) principal stresses that should do it. no?

I was thinking there was a recent post on the subject of rectangular tanks, but I couldn't find it. Here are some older posts which contain references to books/articles which may be of help.

thread1452-272642
thread794-55086
thread404-293556 and
thread794-153709.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

I had all of those already ...Thanks.

If your are designing circular tanks..it's simple and you have many ways; a rectangular one, very few! Even less using Mohr's circle or the principal stress formulas.

Example S = 0.5 (Sy + Sx) ± [0.25(Sy – Sx)2 + Ss2]0.5

But in a boxed or closed rectangular tanks, where are the "obvious" stress points or area of interest!
:-D

JL

My two cents.....

My experience has been that, after bidding and designing a series of rectangular and clyndrical(API-650)tanks for a major US chemical company.....

You can be sure to pay about TWICE the cost for a rectangular tank than a circular tank. Stainless and other exotics only increase this ratio.

Furthermore, you have increased the cost of inpection and repair during the life of the tank.

Unless the tank is a special "one-of-a-kind" to perhaps fit into a certain area ( like.....ummmm....say a submarine) there is no reason to go with a rectangular design...... IMHO

Regards

i wonder if i (and others ?) was mislead with your "FEA" comment ... have you done an FEA of this ? are you asking what Sx, Sy, and Ss are (ie their values, since i'll assume you know they're stresses) ? how to determine them for your tank ??

i guessing this isn't something that can be solved from scratch in a forum like this ... we don't know enough details.

roark has some data for rectangular plates. his source is a paper written by Moody. Google (seriously) "Moody Rectangular Plates" (truly, seriously) and you find the paper and a lot more detail than roark has.

i think the point of cronin's post is a rectangular tank is difficult (structurally inefficient) to design. ok, your customer has a rectangular volume available .... do you have to fill it ? rounding the sides as much as possible will be "better" (for efficient structure).

the reasons for keeping with a rectangular design are 1st the customer needs the volume, and 2nd other forms are too expensive (to make, to work with, ...).

simple flat sides will produce a heavy design.

I am looking at some FEA programs. Most are expensive and I need one that can do detailed reports. I have to use Mohr's principal stresses as a reference as required by client.

JL

any will give you max and min principal stresses.

reports tend to be as detailed as you make them. i don't think you'll get one to make a report at the press of a button ... if you can post it !. I'd use hand calcs to verify your model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back