Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recycling ferrous grinding swarf and dust

Status
Not open for further replies.

MEB

Materials
Oct 26, 2001
US
For some time I've been looking for effective and economically justifiable ways to beneficially reuse ferrous grinding swarf. When I talk about grinding swarf I mean the mixture of fine metal particles, machining coolant/lubricant, and grinding wheel particles that is collected by filtration systems on finish grinding, honing, or polishing operations. Often times the ferrous grinding swarf contains filter media which could be long sheets of synthetic fiber cloth, diatomaceous earth, or cellulose. What successes or experiences have others had in trying to recycle ferrous grinding swarf?

Secondly- What successes or experiences have others had in trying to recycle ferrous shot blasting fines? When I refer to shot blasting fines I mean the ferrous dust removed from a blast system by (for example) an air classification system and collected in drums.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MEB:

About five years ago, it was reported that the Europeans had unsuccessfully tried to recover ferrous material from filtration "mud". High specific surface was the main difficulty - firstly in removing the organic (oily) coating on the particles - and secondly the explosion hazard after the oil had been removed, and the particles were dry.

I don't know if any progress has been made since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back