Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recycling ferrous grinding swarf and dust

Status
Not open for further replies.

MEB

Materials
Oct 26, 2001
US
For some time I've been looking for effective and economically justifiable ways to beneficially reuse ferrous grinding swarf. When I talk about grinding swarf I mean the mixture of fine metal particles, machining coolant/lubricant, and grinding wheel particles that is collected by filtration systems on finish grinding, honing, or polishing operations. Often times the ferrous grinding swarf contains filter media which could be long sheets of synthetic fiber cloth, diatomaceous earth, or cellulose. What successes or experiences have others had in trying to recycle ferrous grinding swarf?

Secondly- What successes or experiences have others had in trying to recycle ferrous shot blasting fines? When I refer to shot blasting fines I mean the ferrous dust removed from a blast system by (for example) an air classification system and collected in drums.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am part of a team that has designed a swarf recycling system for a plant in Nebraska. The plant produces 5 tons of ferrous swarf per week. The swarf also consists of fiber filtering media, grinding abrasives and a hydrocarbon based cutting fluid. The system we designed is "turn-key" and operating costs are BELOW the current landfill costs. Plus, we located an aftermarket for the finished product that makes the ROI of the system less that 18 months.

There are many companies that will take clean swarf of a high value metal content. Our research is focused on the lower value steel/ductile iron swarfs that are also mixed with abrasives, liquids, etc.

We also have a process for dusts and spent shot. We have a unique process developed for a local steel foundry that takes the dust from the cleaning operations and separates the metallics from the sand.

At the moment we are setting up and plant in the Midwest that will take in swarfs and dusts and recycle them. We will issue a Certificate of Recycling for ISO 14000 series compliance. If shipping costs and other factors don't make this an option for you, it is possible for us to design a system and help in locating aftermarkets.

If you would like more information, please email me. I can also arrange a visit to our Nebraska facility.

metals@ameritech.net

The reply you received on June 20 was from an individual or individual(s) who had no right to the technology described. The process is actually the joint property of the Eaton Corporation and myself and attempting to do business with the responder might subject you to legal action. If you need more information, including a detailed description of the process, its capabilities, its potential markets etc... please reply to me at swarfrecl@aol.com. Incidentally, the only facility in Nebraska that is processing is not yet in full operation,they are still struggling with startup bugs. Also, the proported capability to do foundry sand has NEVER been successfully established in either the laboratory or in production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back