Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Red dye in Diesel Fuel - valve packing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEDARRIN2

Mechanical
Oct 1, 2003
US
We have run into a problem on some of our projects.

We have emergency generators which are being fueled with "off road" diesel fuel which has a red dye added to it.

We are having leaks at the packing nut of the fusible link valves. Suppliers are telling us it is the red dye in the diesel fuel which is causing the deterioration.

My question is whether anybody has any experience with this and what was done.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like bunk to me. The concentration of dye is minimal, I don't see how it could react, but I could be wrong. Do you have any of these units fueled with road (undyed) diesel. I suspect the problem with the dye is that it makes minute leaks/weepage very noticeable.

Blacksmith

Dye should not make packing go bad, sounds like nonsense, afterall dye is only suspended particles not strong acid or such. This but makes finding tiny leak much easier. Check with alternate supplier if they will allow dye in fuel with their products.

Ruble3, jet turbine has micrometer nozzles with millionths tolerance and is probably clogged easy, I would trust manufactures' tests to government spokesman anyday (did he fly in plane full of dyed fuel to interview...probably not.)

If dye clogs nozzle would that not help seal poor packing nuts? Like Stopleak in car?

Get second opinion from other supplier.

Alexit: I think it's bunk also- dye has been used for years,especially on off highway equipment,nad any'controversy' surely would have shown up years ago- I did however bump into a friend of mine at lunch today(he has a general contracting business) and has been using dyed fuel for years with no problems-he did mention though that for the last couple of years the quality of diesel has deteriorated?

You do not mention what you are using for packing material. Is it OEM or the stuff that was sitting on the shelf? Is it compatible with hydrocarbon liquids especially toluene and xylene? Packing material degrades with age, prolonged exposure to heat/cold, sunlight, etc so is it fresh?

We experienced a red dye leak on an additive storage tank due to the "salt" corrosion. We had to epoxy coat the inside of the replacement tank to prevent this in the future.

In our review of the incident, we also found a dye manufacturing change that may be causing problems. A few years back the actual solution was changed. Today the concentrations of xylene and toluene are higher than before. We were told these chemicals will destroy any Teflon seats, seals or pipe tape very quickly. Keep in mind though this is a 100% concentration of red dye. I believe the IRS injection requirement is only 11%. Once in the fuel, it is miscible much like anti-freeze in water.

We used Viton in all seals etc. for fittings 2" or greater. It was very hard to locate smaller fittings that could be fitted with Viton. The vendors can't guarantee that Viton won't break down as these concentrations are at or above recommended levels for the Viton product. We also upsized all small piping from Schedule 40 to Schedule 80 in case of salt settling when the system is not used.

Again I stress all of these changes were for the red dye only. We have never experienced such leaks or corrosion after the dye has been injected into the Heating Oil/ Off Road fuel.

dpbehri,

Can you provide more info to dye manufacturing change? What chemicals is this made now?

Thank you.

Sorry do not have the exact chemical composition.

The dye can change the viscosity of the diesel, only a small amount, but as with all pieces of kit like that, they are designed with certain tolerances.

How much is leaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back