Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reduce design area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trashcanman

Mechanical
Jan 4, 2002
US
I have seen fire sprinkler drawings for a school where the design area was reduced to 900 sq.ft.. Is this permitted by NFPA 13? I could not find it in the 2002 version. Some of the heads were extended coverage, some were standard pendent heads. Coverage density was 0.1 gpm/sq.ft.
Maybe it is a new exception in NFPA 13?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe it has been in since the 99 edition of NFPA 13. When using QR sprinklers, you can reduce the design area per NFPA 13.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC

Make sure that the reduced area is also permitted within the local codes because I have run into exceptions that don't allow for certain occupancies to take advantage of this quick response area reduction.

Quick response, standard coverage heads, K-5.6, are used in some small offices and toilet areas. The bulk of the open classrooms are TYCO EC-11, extended coverage, NOT QUICK RESPONSE, k=11.2. I don't think it will fly.

Have a good look at the sprinkelr cut sheets. Sometime the EC sprinklers QR vs SR are the same sprinkler (part #, etc). In these cases the only difference is how it is approved to be spaced and calculated in accordance with it's listing.

Tyco EC-11 sprinklers are QR for light hazard applications in spacing of 18'x18'. They are also QR for light hazard in 20'x20' at certain temps and styles. The sprinkler is also QR for Ord Haz up to 14'x14' spacing.

So, they may still be able to take the QR reduction.

Good luck with the project.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC

"Tyco EC-11 sprinklers are QR for light hazard applications in spacing of 18'x18'. They are also QR for light hazard in 20'x20' at certain temps and styles. The sprinkler is also QR for Ord Haz up to 14'x14' spacing.

So, they may still be able to take the QR reduction."

I'm not sure that I understand this - could the same sprinkler be defined as QR or SR, only depending on the hazard classification?
Normally SR has a 5 mm. bulp and a QR 3 mm. Or am I totally wrong here?

A sprinkler can be SR with a 3mm bulb. Fast response and Quick response are different entities. I believe the 3mm bulb is a fast response (so it can be adjacent to ESFR without draft curtains), but may not be QR.

However, based on testing, the EC-11 by Tyco is both SR and QR, depending on spacing and classification. You must read the data sheet very carefully for the criteria.

Good luck!

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back